Chapter 7

Picture of Beth on the right>>>>>>>

Chapter 7:

                For the next two hours we walked around the park, playing every game that we saw, rather or not we thought it was dumb. We ended up not splitting up into two groups, we just went together as one, and I have to admit, I like this arrangement much better.

                I noticed that Ethan and Daniel got a long great, and I was very grateful for that because it’d help Daniel for when he wants to hang out with guys and not just me. That’s really all he’s been doing, hanging out with me and my family. And it’s not that we don’t mind, but it worries me that he hasn’t made any friends, or gotten together when any of his friends from high school. But then again, probably a lot of his friends are in college, hoping to get out of this dead end town, and have an actual life.

                “Okay, so we’ll see you at the party?” Beth confirmed, standing by both Heather and Ethan.

                I nodded my head, as I opened the front of my truck. We decided that since Daniel doesn’t know the way, and Beth didn’t bring her truck, and Heather and Ethan have the back seat open. That Daniel and I would ride in a car, and Beth, Heather and Ethan would ride in another. How I got stuck being alone with Daniel, I have no idea.

                “Drive safely you two!” Heather called out as she hopped into her truck.

                “You too!” Daniel and I called back.

                Hopping into the truck, we began our drive, and it’s about an hour or two to get there. So, for a drive that long, I bring extra everything: snacks, drinks, water, blankets, and first aid kit; you never know what could go wrong.

 “So, whose house are we going to?” Daniel asked, once we got on the main road.

“Ethan’s sister’s house,” I replied, already knowing where this conversation was going.

“Ah and how old is she?” he asked.  

I shrugged. “She’s five years older than him.”

Daniel nodded his head, his jaw, I noticed relaxing a little.

“Do you mind if we listen to music?” I asked, putting my hand on the dial. Whenever there is silence, rather it’s awkward or not, I have to have music on, it’s for me, a nice way to fill it up.

“No, go on ahead.”

Turning on the radio, I put it on the station that’s perfect for this occasion; country.

“Hey, I’m gonna lift this house, spin it all around. Toss it in the air, and put it in the ground,” the speakers boomed out.

“Awe, I love this song!” I cried, turning up the volume. Before I know it, I’m singing right along with them. “I’m gonna lift this house, spin it all around. Toss it in the air, and put it in the ground. I’m gonna lift this house, spin it all around. Toss it in the air, and put in the ground. Make sure you’re never found!” I belted out.

When the song was over, I turned the radio back down, to a sensible non-deaf volume. Beside me, I could hear Daniel laughing. The deep sound of his laugh, and his head thrown back, caused my heart to flutter for a second. But just a second, when it hit me, that he was laughing at me.

“What’s so funny?” I cried, my anger starting to show.

“You,” he answered, once he’d calmed down. “You’re not the best singer in the world. You just made my night.”