Chapter Four

About a week went by, and everything was fairly normal. There was awkwardness between Abby, Jack and I, but Stacey was completely oblivious. She was still in her own world, not really aware of her surroundings. It wasn't serious enough to worry about, though.

It was my birthday the next day, but I had a feeling that everyone would forget before tomorrow. The four of us were sat on the grass by the park, but nobody was talking. It was like this a lot now. Summer was going to be over in a few weeks, and we hadn't really done anything exciting.
"What should we do before the holidays end?" Stacey piped up, as if she was reading my mind. She laid across from me, looking at the clear pastel blue sky with her head resting on Jack's lap.
Jack thought for a second and shrugged, returning to stroking Stacey's hair and eating his ice-cream.
He was always eating, and he even managed to get the creamy mess down his shirt.
Abby had no suggestions. Nothing new. She never contributed. Ever.

I had an idea."We should go to the beach. Go surfing maybe?" Stacey grunted at my suggestion. "I can't surf." She whined, rolling over onto her belly to look at me.
"I'll teach you. Everyone here can surf except you, Stacey." Her head dropped into her hands that were propped up by her elbows, before she flopped onto the grass, whining like a child.
"I don't want to, it'll be all wet and soggy." Jack was chuckling at her childishness as he scooped her up, carrying her bridal-style to the bus stop.
"First stop: Stacey's house to get her swimsuit!" He laughed, Stacey kicked and yelled for him to put her down. "Never." He said. Never. He liked to say that. It gave him power, control, and that's what he wanted. 

About an hour later, we were at the beach, ready to surf. Abby and Jack could already do it, so they went ahead and started. I don't know if they talked to each other, but they walked together until they reached the water. I never understood why they weren't as close as I used to be with Jack.
"Do I have to learn, Charlie?"
"yes. It's fun."

It took a while for Stacey to get the general idea of how surfing works, so we joined the others in the water after our little lesson. Everything was great. It was the most fun I had all summer, and the water wasn't even that cold. We all laughed and splashed each other, getting everyone even more soaked.

A little while later, Stacey gave up and went to sunbathe with Abby. I could see them sat by the dunes talking. They got along really well when Jack wasn't around. I loved surfing, the salty air made me forget where I was and what I was doing. That was a good thing until then. In my dazed state of mind, I didn't notice that Jack was getting closer and closer until he pushed me off my board. I fell backwards and hit my head on something hard, and judging from the pain in my neck, I guessed that I was bleeding there as well. I was held under the water for what felt like forever, and I was running out of breath. I kicked and punched anything that I could feel, but whoever was holding me down just tightened their grip on my shoulders. 

Everything went dark, and I felt nothing.

"I'll carry her to the toilets to get her cleaned up, guys. Don't worry, she'll be fine."
"Don't you think it's best if I take her?" Was that Abby talking? It was hard to tell since everything was muffled.
"No, let Jack take her, she's too heavy for you." That was definitely Stacey,it was clearer this time. I felt my body be lifted, causing a sharp pain in my neck. Jack did this to me. He did it on purpose, why?

"I've got you, Sugar," He whispered into my wet, tangled hair. "Don't you worry."
'Playing the hero card, are we?' –Was my last thought before I fell back into a numb state.

Rape often isn't about sex. It's about control.

(a/n A longer chapter. What do you think? Vote, comment, share and add to your library. Thank you.)
-Rae