Mika rolled his eyes, "Sully, shut up. And Yuu, face forward."

"Wait though," the brown-eyed boy interrupted, "you're the kid who tobogganed down the aisle with the lunch tray, right? With the mashed potatoes?"

Yuu just stared.

"Dude!" Sully chirped, holding up a hand for a high-five. "Killer skills bro, the penguins got nothing on you."

Before he knew it, a smile pulled to Yuu's face, and he softly placed his hand against Mika's friend's.

~

From the dusty window in the front of the orphanage, Saint watched the car pull off, curiosity cruising his system. He put on his book bag and began to follow the rest of the kids out the door and down the road, twiddling a small blade under his sweatshirt.

Back and forth... Back and forth...

~

"Run! Run dammit! Pick up the pace! Ain't no fuckin' stroll in the park!"

The kids of Gym Class A heaved on their sprint to the finish line, shoes pounding the muddy track, stumbling kids and mud flying everywhere. A poor kid with glasses got a mud decoration on his lenses, and another kid with asthma was nearly dying on the sidelines.

Military drills.

Yuu may have been quite underweight, but he was pretty quick. Well, until he stepped in a mud clunk. He toppled to the ground, the coach already calling him out.

"Up, Amane up!

He hissed to himself, regaining his pace to try and keep up with the other kids. It was painfully humiliating to say the least, especially when his hero was all the way towards the front of the race, probably about to break the tie first.

Was it even worth it anymore?

Well, if he didn't run it, was push-ups as punishment.

He pulled his hood over his head, the humidity pooling sweat down his face. A rainstorm was coming. But he continued to run on.

Two minutes later and the whistle sounded that someone had won. He was four-fifths the way through when he collapsed, his lungs and esophagus in flames. He heaved on the pavement, mud sticking to his face. The green eyes begun to roll back, his head drifting off sleepily.

Whatever.

Mika's care in the race was beyond far gone, coming in a hot second place. He spun as the winning bell sounded, eyes searching the track for Yuu. Mud was everywhere, kids still slowly catching up behind. His lungs ached but he jogged back down the sidelines, looking for his younger companion. He could barely see through the tiny freshmen bodies jogging up to the finish. He pushed through, head whipping in all directions.

Six foot and he still couldn't see.

Blue eyes locked with the small body on the pavement, watching the tiny chest rise and fall to a slowing pace.

His heart ached on cue.

He ran over, quickly snatching one of the water bottles off the rusty bleachers.