36~ The New Era of Evil

Ruby sat contently on the bench, the same bench where she kissed Draco only last night. The taste of fresh rain and mint still tantalized her lips, making her chest race faster with every beat. She didn't want to believe it; she didn't want to believe that the boy whom she thought she could save, had finally gone over the edge and into the dark side of terror.

Draco killed Dumbledore.

At last, that's what people were saying. After the commotion in the halls and classrooms, people cried and gossiped at how they saw Draco Malfoy leaving the school with another large group of Death Eaters. They said he had turned evil, and that and the rest of the Death Eaters planned to kill them all, delving the world into a new era of evil.

She was so caught up in her own thoughts, she didn't even realize somebody had sat down beside her until she heard a soft sigh.

Hermione.

She didn't say a word, she just sat with her friend in silence. They looked out into the courtyard together, watching the sun reach its high peak of mid-day. Hermione watched Ruby out of the corner of her eye, wondering just what she was thinking about. Ruby didn't look at Hermione; instead, she focused her attention on the white orchid that still managed to bloom in the dark fog of sadness.

"It's amazing," Hermione finally spoke, "So much sadness and grief, and yet that beautiful flower continues to blossom as if everything were okay,"

"I did that," Ruby admitted, "I made it flower right out of the rock,"

"You must be healing, then," she replied.

"Is it true, what they're saying?" she asked, "Did Draco...?"

Hermione shook her head, "It was Snape. He's one of them,"

Ruby scoffed, "That seems to make sense. I could always sense something off about him. A man can't have a face like that and not have secrets. It doesn't make me feel any better,"

"Harry said that he couldn't do it -- Draco could do it,"

"That was the vow that Snape made; in case he couldn't complete the task. He was acting so strange, I should have known," she said quietly.

"Nobody knew. Nobody, so don't blame yourself, Ruby," she replied.

Ruby let her head fall back against the stone of the bench, reminiscing the heat and ice that washed over her insides when Draco healed her the other night. He saved her, he protected her. He cursed her to protect her; everything he did to her -- pushing her away, being rude, cursing her -- he did it all to take the target off her back. He did it all to keep the Death Eaters away from her.

"He healed me," she said, "He gave me back my magic. He never wanted to hurt me, he was trying to-"

"Protect you. I figured," Hermione said.

"Now they're all out there; who-know-who is alive, Dumbledore is dead, the Order has fallen apart..." Ruby trailed off.

"It all seems pretty hopeless," Hermione said, "But we're not dead yet,"

"Emphasis on yet," Ruby huffed, "What are we going to do?" 

"First thing we have to do is get Harry out of Hogwarts," she said, "We have to protect our families from the Death Eaters,"

"You have to protect your families; I don't have a family," she wiped her nose on her sleeve.

"Neither does Harry,"

"He has a roof over his head and two pigs that feed him. It's better than nothing,"

Hermione patted her shoulder and stood up, "I'm going to pack my things, I suggest you do the same," she said.

"Why?" Ruby asked.

"Because now Dumbledore is gone. Everything is going to change, and I don't think you'll be able to get through the year with your dis-conformity... not this time," she replied.

Ruby didn't reply as she walked away, she just continued to stare at the white flower in the stone. Hermione was right, things were about to change rapidly... and Ruby had to act fast.

She hopped off the bench and ran upstairs to her room. She grabbed her pen and a scrap piece of paper from her scrolls, and she started to write furiously;

Draco,

I wanted to thank you again for giving me my magic back, I'm forever in your debt. I want you to know that I know you didn't kill Dumbledore, despite what everybody is saying. But everything is going to change now, and I fear it will be for the worst. I'm sorry you were placed in such a position, I know you were scared. But please, don't worry for me. I'm okay, I promise. I will be strong, I will be safe. But you must do the same; these people do not have mercy, nor a heart. You're afraid you're like your father, but you're not. I was wrong; and I don't admit that often.

Despite everything that's happened, I know why you did what you did. And though it may not have been the most orthodox approach, I appreciate what you were trying to do for me. I appreciate you. Draco, you have been the best thing in my life, as well as the most confusing thing. I hope we can see each other again when circumstances aren't as tense. I want to see you again, I want to make sure you're alright. If you're scared, just think of me... I'll be thinking of you.

Please write back to me, and be safe,
Yours truly,
Ruby D.

When she was done, Ruby rolled up the scroll and whistled for Biscuit. The owl service was quite efficient, though Ruby didn't appreciate it when her mail came with owl droppings on the parchment. She attached the scroll to Biscuit's collar nice and snug so it wouldn't fall out, and she placed the cat at the window.

"Find Draco, take this to him," she told the cat. Biscuit nuzzled her little black head against Ruby's hand and looked back at her with wide eyes; almost as if she was promising Ruby with her nine lives. The black cat jumped down from the window and disappeared out of sight.

Ruby looked out into the horizon; the sun came out and bright yellow beams peaked out from the mountain tops. She was suddenly overcome with a new determination... she was going to help in any way she could to defeat the Death Eaters. And that meant putting her own life in danger. It would be brutal, and terrible, and inconceivable in every way, but Ruby was a Dellamark after all, they weren't known for running away.

 It would be brutal, and terrible, and inconceivable in every way, but Ruby was a Dellamark after all, they weren't known for running away