7) The Yule Ball

This was Ruby's sixth day of detention, and the Yule Ball was only hours away. This time, Professor Flitwick had ordered her to clean out his black board brushes, which now had a two-inch thick layer of chalk dust trapped between the bristles.

She took the brushes and clapped them together, pulling her head away as not to breathe in the dust. A large cloud of dust sprung up from the brushes, so thick Ruby could barely see her fingers.

When the dust cleared, she heard the door open. She set the brushes down in a bucket letting the excess chalk fall away, and turned around. She was definitely not expecting him to walk in.

"Just when I thought this day couldn't get any worse. What the bloody hell are you doing here?" she asked. Draco scowled his famous scowl and through his bag on the floor.

"I'm in detention, what else does it look like?" he replied.

"This begs my next question, why are you in detention?" she asked.

"Professor Trelawney didn't find it very funny when I knocked over a few of her magic crystal balls," he replied with a smirk.

"Well, welcome to the Chalk Dust Club. Grab a few brushes and start clapping," she said. Draco wasn't in the mood to argue with her, he actually as he was told for the first time.

Ruby tried to concentrate; well – give as much concentration was needed for clapping chalk brushes – but she felt Draco's eyes boring into the side of her head. She looked at him, but he quickly turned away.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing," he replied.

"Bull," she muttered under her breath.

"So, do you have a partner for the ball tonight?" Draco asked.

"No, do you?" she asked.

"Actually, yes I do. I'm taking Pansy," he replied. Ruby snorted in response.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she snickered.

"Why?" he asked her. Ruby stopped cleaning brushes and turned to him.

"She's one of the most irritating people I've ever met. She always sticks her nose up at others, and she has that ridiculous haircut. Not to mention her face is smushed in like a pug dog," she replied. Draco suddenly smirked.

"Is that jealousy I sense in your voice, Dellamark?" he asked. She scoffed and looked at him like he was crazy.

"You're out of your mind if you think I'm actually jealous of Petty Parkinson," she replied, letting her voice raise an octave at the sound of Pansy's nickname. Draco chuckled and came closer. Ruby suddenly felt the same uncomfortable knot in her stomach from when they danced together the other day.

"Then what's with the attitude?" he asked.

"I always don an attitude," she replied matter-of-factly.

"Maybe because you really are jealous, hey?" he said. Ruby turned to him and crossed her arms.

"You're a down-right nosy sod," she told him.

"I have to disagree," he grinned. Ruby sighed and looked down at the brush in her hand, then she pulled out her wand and threw the brush in the air.

"Expulso!" the chalk brush suddenly exploded into a chalk of dust, raining all over Draco's black sweater. Ruby giggled at her work, he looked like he had been attacked by the bakery nymphs in Diagon Alley.

 Ruby giggled at her work, he looked like he had been attacked by the bakery nymphs in Diagon Alley