34) Flowers from Stone

Time had gone on, and Ruby had entered into a depression-like state. She hardly ate, she didn't talk in class. It was almost as though she had become a shell of herself. Ever since her encounter with the bathroom, she was absolutely terrified of everything, and everyone. It soon be a matter of time before her place at Hogwarts would be revoked, and she would be transferred into a loony shack.

Rumors had gone around, and everybody knew. The other three houses felt sorry for her, and tried to make her feel better. But the Slytherins thought it was fantastic news, and reminded Ruby about it every chance they got. Pansy was especially pleased at this news, she could finally get Ravenweirdo out of the way.

Harry had gotten rid of his book, after she had told him and the others what had happened. At that instant, Harry and Ginny hid the book in a place where nobody could ever find it. After that, her bright green eyes had grown dull and lifeless, there was hardly any of the old Ruby left inside of her.

One night, Ruby laid in her bed and stared at the wall, while Luna was reading a book for her charms class. She hated seeing Ruby like this, and she wished there was something she could do. She put her book aside and sat on the edge of her bed.

"Ruby, have you talked to anybody since the bathroom catastrophe?" she asked her

"Yeah," she replied simply.

"Somebody who could help you get over it?"

"How am I supposed to get over it? I nearly killed somebody, Luna. How do you get over that?" Luna nodded as Ruby's snide comment.

"Point taken. But the you who's become cold, and quiet, and empty -- I don't like her very much. I miss Ruby," she said. Ruby sat up and brushed some hair off her face.

"Me too... but I'm not sure there's anything left of her. My magic is whacked, I'm loosing control of myself, and I nearly killed Draco," she replied.

"It was an accident, you were angry. Everybody understands," Luna said.

"You don't get it. I wanted him dead for what he did to me. He ruined my life," she replied.

"No he didn't. All he did was mess with your magic, but I know that you're perfectly fine to live a muggle life. We all are," she said.

"Are you defending him?" she asked.

"I saw you two dancing at the Yule Ball. And for the first time, you actually looked really happy. You didn't care that he was in an opposing house, or that he could be cruel at times. You liked him... a lot," she replied.

"I was a fourteen-year-old little brat. I didn't know any better," she said.

"Do you know now?" Ruby sighed and closed her eyes. Despite all the bad memories, they were all outweighed by the good ones. And a good majority of them involved Draco. The detention, the Yule Ball, playing cat-and-mouse behind Umbridge's back, and the almost-kiss in the tower. As hard as she tried to hate him, she couldn't. He understood her, just like she did him. She reached up and touched her cheek, remembering that one time he pushed a loose strand of hair away from her face and pushed it behind her ear.