(5) Silence is Deadly

Jacqueline

            My head rolled back, dizziness taking me over slowly.

            It had been two days, seven hours, and nineteen minutes since I had last indulged. Not that I was counting or anything…but the release what just what I needed; what I had been craving.

            After sitting in silence for fifteen minutes—I made myself get moving. I blotted my leg, and then quickly put a Band-Aid on the back of it. I knew it wasn’t normal—I worried all the time no one would be able to accept it. I worried one day I would run out of landscape to mess with and when that time came, no one would want me.

            I opened the door to my bathroom and walked out, headed to my computer. I glanced at the clock above the desk. I had about an hour and a half before I needed to get ready for work.

            I signed into Facebook and was surprised to find another correspondence from Lee. It had been from earlier that morning.

            Hey, you up? It read. I looked at the time sent. 4:42 am. Wow, either he was a night owl or an extreme early bird.

            I noticed his picture had a green dot on it—meaning he was still online.

            I am now—what’s up? I wrote back, curious as to his intentions.

            I just got back from the most amazing run, he wrote. You?

            He was an extremist, alright. I just woke up, I shot back, lamely.

            Oh, right—it is early there. My bad, Lee replied.

            No worries.

            So, what are your plans for the day? Lee typed.

            Work, unfortunately, I replied.

            Where do you work? He seemed very interested in getting to know me and wasn’t afraid to show it.

            I work for my friend’s mom with horses. I knew how much I loved and enjoyed the work I did—but my explanation just sounded lame.

            You work with horses? What an awesome job. His response surprised me.

            You like horses?

            I love horses. Sometimes I think I was a horse in a past life—running wild and free. Is that weird? His answer made me smile. I had yet to see why Maddy had dumped him…except for the biggest reason of all, Parker.

            So, what animal do you think you were in a past life? Lee asked after being met with silence for several minutes.

            I thought silently to myself before responding. I think I was a bird—one that flew high above the trees and looked over the land.

            Who’s the weird one now? He placed a silly emoticon at the end of his sentence, hinting at his joke.

            You intrigue me, Mr. Bennett, I teased.

            Mr. Bennett? Did we take a step backwards? Why are you addressing me so formally? Lee is cool too… I could practically picture a confused smile spreading slowly across his face.

            I’ve been hurt in the past and I’m still picking up the pieces. I have a lot of issues—ones that will make you run the other way. Do you really want to waste your time with someone like me? I had no idea what brought on my sudden case of honesty or why I felt like being so candid with a total stranger…but there was something about Lee, something I couldn’t put my finger on—I knew this much; I felt like I could trust him.

            Tell me one thing you think will make me run the other way and I will surprise you with my answer. He pushed.

            I sat, without typing anything for minutes…there were so many to choose from. I was broken and damaged and Lee had no idea what kind of baggage I carried. But for one reason or another I found myself not able to hold back.

            Here goes nothing.          

            I am bipolar… I typed timidly.

            I sent it and then waited.

            And waited some more.

            Nothing.

            I looked at his picture and noticed the green dot was missing notifying me that he was no longer online.

            Son of a bitch.

            Color me surprised…