Chapter 25

They didn't stop until they had put many miles between them and Kesuk Lake. Anyu wanted to continue on until sundown, but Tavra couldn't go any further. They'd hastily bandaged the long gash in his leg, but the wound still bled heavily, quickly soaking through the rags. It was dangerous to stop too early, but if not they'd be putting Tavra at risk.

The peaks of the mountains had appeared in the distance once they'd cleared the lake's mist, and they were drawing closer. The ground around them had grown rocky and less monotonous as they approached the foothills, giving more opportunities for shelter from the wind. When a large crooked rock provided an ideal place to stop, they gratefully set up shelter against it.

Anyu knew enough about treating injuries to take care of Tavra's, although he wasn't making it any easier.

"I'm fine," He muttered, gritting his teeth through the pain. Anyu didn't know whether he was trying to be proud or simply didn't trust her, but either way she ignored his repeated protests and continued cleaning the wound.

Anyu pulled out a piece of Kanajuk's claw that must have broken off when he attacked and Tavra hissed at her, revealing a pair of sharpened canines.

"There," She said with a tone of finality. "The worst part is over. Now I just need to wrap it." Tavra pouted and glared but didn't interfere as she wrapped a proper bandage around his leg.

"Yes, got it!"

The two of them looked over to where Kano had been trying- and failing- to start a fire with the meager kindling they could find. Anyu had been the one to start the fire during their past couple weeks of travel, but Kano had insisted he'd start it this time while Anyu saw to Tavra's wounds. He'd looked so determined to be useful that she couldn't say no. It appeared he'd finally managed to do it.

The flames assisted the stars and moon in illuminating the night. The mountains were still visible to the north, a clear reminder that their destination was growing ever closer. Yahal, the summer indwellers' prison, was somewhere through those mountains. And beyond that, two days to the north, was Anyu's way home.

They ate the last of the food that Denigi had provided them, Shesh braying mournfully as he finished off his feed. Anyu patted his back reassuringly but internally her mind wandered to a familiar place: calculating how much game they would have to bring in to avoid starvation. Unfortunately, the odds were not particularly optimistic. Tavra, their biggest advantage for hunting, was injured, and there wasn't likely to be much game in the mountains anyway. The tallest of them were so high that the clouds completely obscured their peaks. It was a wonder if anything could survive up there.

A soft snore drew Anyu's gaze back from the mountains. Tavra had fallen asleep on his back and seemed completely passed out. Anyu glanced at his leg. The wound should be healed soon, but even the slightest injury could be disastrous trekking up these mountains. He'd have to recover quickly.

"Don't worry about him," Kano spoke up from across the fire. "The bleeding's stopped. We indwellers are fast healers."

"Of course you are," Anyu sighed, sitting back on the ground. She tossed a piece of kindling into the fire and watched as it slowly caught flame and began to burn. The silence between them stretched on. When Anyu finally lifted her gaze from the flames she was startled to see Kano staring at her intently, as if he was trying to figure out a difficult puzzle.

"What are you doing?" She asked flatly, not enjoying being the subject of such scrutiny. She was supposed to be the normal one here, after all. Unlike her companions, she didn't have anything to hide.

"Thinking," He replied without hesitation.

"About?"

Now he hesitated. It didn't do anything to help Anyu's already frustrated mood.