Chapter 2

Chapter 2

WHILE READING I RECOMMEND LISTENING TO "YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL" BY LANA DEL REY

My car door opened and an older man in an officials uniform stood at attention.

"All contestants exit the vehicle."

My dad got out with me and held me by my upper arms.

"Look kid," he said, "they are going to go do a check on you and your things, and we'll see you before you enter the arena. Don't be afraid."

I nodded and followed the official through the snow encased field into an all white sanitary looking building. There was a hospital looking bed in the center of the room, and the counters along the side of the small room held medical looking things.

"Sit down on the bed. The doctor will be in shortly." The official said, and he walked out of the room.

Doctor? I wondered on my head. What were they going to make sure I was healthy before they sent me into a slaughter house?

The person who I assumed was the doctor came in, wearing a doctors coat and carrying a clipboard.

"Paige Reynolds?"

I looked up at him. "Yes?"

"Just making sure I got the right room. I'm just going to give you a routine exam, and document some key details for when you join the new pack."

"IF I join the new pack," I muttered.

He looked up from his clipboard and through his glasses.

"Most girls I talk too don't usually like to talk like that."

"Yeah, I'm just being realistic."

He started chuckling. "You'll be surprised. I will see you back here in a week with a mate, just watch."

I smiled weakly at him. "Okay, Doc, I'll leave the positive thinking to you."

He shook his head at me. "Come on, girly, let's get this check up finished with so you can go back with your parents. I'll be seeing you back here in no time."

"Maybe. In a body bag."

He rolled his eyes at me and just shrugged, but kept on with the assessment.

Afterwords, I walked out of the little makeshift office and into the arms of my mother and father who were waiting right outside the door.

"What next then? Any other surprises before I get shoved into the arena?"

"We get a few hours to prepare you then- you go in. Once you're in you either find a mate or you hide until it's over."

I snorted. "I'll hide until it over is all that's going to happen. I don't want some stupid male to pick me just because they don't have any options."

"Kid, that's not the only reason they pick you. Usually they do it because, you know, you're their MATE."

"Hardly. Then where was my sisters mate?"

"Don't being it up Paige, I don't have all the answers. I wish he had been there, but he wasn't."

I just stared at him, trying to will my scared tears from falling from my eyes.

"But you aren't your sister, Paige! You are you, and you're mate is in there! Can't you feel it? Because I can."

"Sure Dad, sure."

"Come on Paige, let's go just relax for a bit. Try to forget this is happening for a few hours." My mom said, chiming in.

"Agreed." My father said.

We walked over to a little cabin that my parents would be staying in while I was in the arena, being eaten alive. But I turned to my parents while they were entering the room.

"Guys, I'll be right back. I just want to go explore for a bit."

My parents looked at each other with worried expressions, but nodded as I walked away.

Of course, I didn't see any of the other contestants. They were being sensible and spending as much time with their families as possible, or training before the whole fiasco began. But I was so sick of it all. The training, and the sadness, and the anxiety. I needed a break from it all. And staying in that little cottage with my parents wasn't going to help.

I just wanted to go HOME. I wanted to curl up in my bed with pillows surrounding me, and pretend that I wasn't about to face death. I wanted someone to hold me and tell me it was going to be alright. I wanted my sister to come back and tell me not to be scared.

Of course, none of that was going to happen. Nothing good and happy like that just happens. In less that four hours I'm going to have to enter that stupid fucking arena, in the cold, with what little supplies I was allowed to pack. I would have to run, and run trying to escape those stupid men. I wouldn't be relaxing for quite a bit if time.

The next week was going to be anxiety filled. And I was already 100% done with this whole thing.

I walked back to my parents cabin eventually though, not prepared at all for the walk to the gates of the arena.

But time had run out, and it was time to get this thing over with.

AUTHOR NOTE

Still not sure about this story. But I'm giving it a chance. The chapters will usually be this size give or take a little. If depends the kind of mood I'm in. Please don't comment on how the "chapters are too short." They are what they are, just go with it. PLEASE COMMENT AND TELL ME IF YOU LIKE IT. I may end up DELETING it if it doesn't get good (or any) reviews.