Chapter 5

Chapter 5 PAIGE

I woke to the sound of snarling beneath me. Not exactly the best sound to be hearing from a pack of male wolves on a hunt.

My body had only shifted slightly on the tree branch, not enough to alert the men to my presence, so I peeked down to see what had caused then such a disturbance.

The Alpha was back in his wolf form, circling the large group if males. After successfully ranking the males I assumed that they were mind linking.

Suddenly the large group broke apart and split up, smaller groups if wolves darted in all different directions. The Alpha led the largest straight into the heart of the forest, leading them right under my tree.

The group went on but the Alpha hesitated close under me, making my heart freeze for a moment. But he continued on with a shake of his big head.

My heart resumed with it's beating and after waiting a few minutes I slid down from my perch on the branch. Being out in the open left me feeling exposed, and I needed to run quickly to a higher tree to hide in. Hopefully near a body of water.

I heard a growling sound and quickly backed up against a tree, scanning my surroundings. It only took me a second to realize that the sound had come from my stomach. I hadn't eating since yesterday morning due to nerves. I really needed to get food, and quickly before my stomach had the chance to give away my position.

I looked into my hiking backpack hoping that my mother had the good sense of putting in some kind of food, and found a plastic round of crackers. I rationed it out to only a few, or else I would run out before the end of the week.

At some point I would have to hunt for my own food. Or raid the males headquarters.

The males were so freaking spoiled that it just killed me. They got a large cabin in the center if the forest to lodge in, with all the things they would need. Food, showers, laundry machines, the works. The females who were caught would get to enjoy the perks while the rest of us hid and fended for ourselves. It was unfortunate.

Thats probably where the Alpha was heading when he took his group towards the center of the arena. As long as I stayed towards the outer skirts of the arena I should be fine. Most of the females would want to find their mate, so they won't be hiding as much as I will.

In my wolf form I sniffed as well as I could through the snow to find a running body of water. I could just try melting the snow, but that would take a long time and a body of water might provide fish to catch.

A continuous span of sniffing caused my nose to quickly become cold, and I stopped my search, afraid I would catch a flu if I continued on. That would be so convenient running away from males, I'm sure.

The sky started the get dark, and I realized I didn't know how long I had slept for. Most likely a couple of hours, because the males underneath me hadn't moved. But I hadn't anticipated it being this dark.

I had to find shelter, and quickly. I wouldn't put it past the males to go hunting for their mates at night. That might be when they had the most advantage.

I climbed the tallest tree I could find and settled in on one of the branches in my wolf form. I would have preferred a cave of some sort, but with nightfall collapsing upon me I didn't have much of a choice.