Cold

My eyes fluttered open and I looked around the room. Sunlight shown through the ripped curtains that hung over the window. I licked my lips making them wet since they felt dry. I rolled over and looked around the room. I was still snuggled up in my brother's nice warm jacket. I rubbed at my eyes and slowly stood up. My throat was dry in need of water and my stomach was empty.
I rubbed at my face and took off the jacket setting it down on the bed. I got up from the mattress and looked around. Cade must've gone out to go get stuff. I looked around and saw a pile of journals on the table. I went over and picked one up. Before I could even open the journal, a voice startled me.
"Don't touch those" a voice from behind me spoke. I turned around to see Bucky. He must've just woken up. His brown hair was a little messy and his voice seemed a little groggy from just waking up.
"I didn't know... I'm sorry" I said quickly placing the book down with the other journals on the table. Bucky went into the kitchen getting two cups from the cabinet. He filled them with water and gave me one. I took the cup and thanked him before taking a little sip but soon that sip turned into a big swallow.
"Your brother went to go get some food" Bucky mumbled before he took a sip of his own water. He raised his eyebrow slightly seeing how thirsty I had been. I put down the cup and wiped at my mouth a little. We stood there in silence before I spoke up.
"Why'd you save me? You could've killed me... Why didn't you?" I asked looking at him as I messed with the hem of my shirt.
"I don't know" he mumbled before drinking the rest of his water and setting the cup down. He walked away leaving me alone in the kitchen. I heard a deep sigh and his feet moving as if he was turning around, "something inside told me to help you."
I nodded a little and looked at the floor. I heard him sigh before he walked off heading over to his mattress. I drank the rest of my water and went over to my mattress sitting down. I took off my shoes and set them beside the bed. I ran a hand through my hair before I laid down on the mattress.
I wondered if my mom was worried about me. She probably was. She always worried about random things that I did. I heard the door open and I looked over seeing Cade walk in with two bags of food. I got to my feet and headed over to see what he got. Cade smiled and opened the bags taking out what was inside.
"I knew you might be hungry, Willow, so I brought some food" Cade said before he tossed a plum to Bucky. Bucky caught it and took a bite of the plum. I looked to see what else they had. I saw some carrots and crackers. Some potatoes and other veggies and fruits. I picked up an apple and took a bite. The juice rolled down my chin which made me wipe it off with my sleeve.
In a few minutes I was done with the apple and moved on to some little carrots. Cade was already starting to make us something. By the smell I could tell it was soup. Veggie soup. I couldn't help but smile and get up going into the kitchen. I looked at my brother and rolled up my sleeves with a smile.
"Can I help?" I asked. He chuckled and nodded before I started to help him make the soup for the three of us. We poured the bowls and got the cups of water before we all sat down on our mattresses. Bucky had started reading a little part of his journal to us as we ate our soup. Soon Cade had finished and decided to go to bed early.
I finished my soup and set the bowl on a crate that I considered as a nightstand. I turned on the lantern and looked over at Bucky. He set his journal down and he laid down onto his mattress. He rolled over so his back was facing me. I reached over and lightly tapped Bucky's shoulder.
"What?" He grumbled fixing his blanket.
"Can you read some of your journal? I can't sleep" I said softly. Bucky sighed and rolled over grabbing his journal. I smiled a little and laid back down on my mattress. He turned to a page and smiled a little bit before he started reading. I smiled as I listened to him tell me about his war stories from back when he fought beside Steve.
"He was very reckless" Bucky said with a soft chuckle. He sighed and looked at the floor before he looked at me. I looked at him and smiled a little before he reached over fixing the blanket on me, "get some sleep, Will. You need it."
I nodded a little and watched as he got comfortable back on his mattress. His back facing me once again. He fixed his blanket and soon fell asleep. I sighed a little and got comfortable on the mattress. I turned off the lantern before I rolled over pulling the blanket over me. Soon I found myself drifting of to sleep on the old mattress in the abandon apartment.

The next morning, I woke up and looked around. It still was all real. It wasn't some bad dream that I couldn't get rid of. I heard the cracking sound of static from a radio which made me look over. Bucky was in the kitchen doing something and listening to the news on the radio. I heard something about the Avengers and Sokovia.
"Good morning, Will" Bucky said coming over to me with a bowl of something. I looked at the bowl and sat up seeing oat meal. I took the spoon from Bucky and started eating the breakfast he had made for me. How long were we all going to stay here? What were we going to do?