I looked back at my body and noticed the leather jacket again. The boy was wearing nothing but a white tank top, and realization dawned on me.

Picking up the leather jacket, I asked, "Is this yours?"

"Yes," he said, getting up and walking towards me. "I'll take it back."

I stared at him, wondering what his deal was, but suddenly his eyes went to my arms and legs that were now exposed with his leather jacket off me. His eyes widened at the sight and he stopped in his spot. Horror was written across his face.

"What the hell," he said, crouching down next to me. "What happened?"

"Nothing," I blurted out, knowing he couldn't find out the truth. "I... I must've scratched myself on the thorns of the roses."

His eyes met mine again and they softened. No longer was there the usual teenage boy, cocky and self-righteous, but there was a boy who looked like he genuinely worried for me. My heart froze as he moved closer and began to examine my wounds.

Putting a hand gently on my arm, he asked, "Does it hurt?"

I shook my head. My body didn't hurt anymore. Although parts of me stung, the pain was gone for the most part, and it was like my life with Dad. He caused me pain momentarily, but soon it would be gone and there would be nothing but a stinging pain at the thought of what happened here and there. I was used to pain. Used to stinging, so this was nothing.

The boy slid his hand down my arm, causing me to jump. His hand was so warm and I was so cold. His touch was welcoming due to that, but embarrassment washed over me, so I yanked my arm away.

"Here," I said, throwing his jacket at him. "I need to go home now."

I got up quickly, wanting to be away from him. I didn't know why, but he made me uneasy.

"Let me walk you home," he said, putting his jacket on. "I don't think it's safe to walk on your own."

"It's bright outside," I said. "There's nothing to worry about now."

"Doesn't matter, I'm still worried." He looked away, seeming embarrassed. "So please, let me walk you home."

I stared at him and wondered what he wanted. But then I thought of everything he did for me and how gentle he was. Something in me softened. There was no harm in agreeing.

"Since I'm guessing you won't leave me alone until I let you walk me home, then fine," I said.

The boy smiled at me and I looked away. Admittedly, he was cute when he smiled.

"Let's go then," he said, going to my side. "My name is Haiden by the way. What's yours?"

"Luna," I answered.

Haiden and I walked to my home together and we talked the entire way there. Turned out, we had a lot in common and Haiden was entertaining. So once I was home, I promised him we'd meet everyday at the same spot he found me.

*****

Haiden and I became best friends in the six months we spent together. Everyday we would meet at the centre of the rose field at sunset and everyday we would either talk or play a game. Today was a talking day and Haiden and I sat on the tree trunk we brought as a bench.

"You have to tell the cops about your dad," Haiden said after a few minutes of sitting in comfortable silence. "He deserves to be in jail."

"But you know I can't. I have no one else to live with except him," I said. "And besides, my dad is only bad when he's drunk."

"Someone as amazing as you deserves better though." Haiden sighed. "I hate that this is your life."

My insides felt warm at his words. I knew I developed a crush on Haiden by now. He was just so incredible. Funny, intelligent, cute. Haiden was everything I wanted in a guy and I hoped my feelings for him were mutual.

"Sometimes life sucks and there's nothing you can do about it," I said. "That's the position I'm in and although it isn't great, I can manage. Don't worry about me, Haiden."

"I believe in taking action. I believe in making life the way you want it to be," he said. "And you know I can't help but worry about you. I care about you Luna, so don't tell me not to worry."

I smiled at him, thankful we became friends. Haiden made my life more manageable. I used to be constantly depressed, wishing my life would fly by and eventually end, but Haiden gave me something to look forward to. He gave me happiness, which was something I lacked for years.

"Thank you," I said, taking his hand. "For being at my side. You have no idea how much it means to me."

"Don't thank me," he said, squeezing my hand. "It's a pleasure to be here at your side and I hope you know that I will always be with you."

My eyes softened. "I know."

*****

One day, Haiden disappeared. It was the same day my dad was arrested by the police. But even then, I kept going to our meeting place everyday, hoping he would return. But, Haiden never did.

I was thrown into a new life filled with new people and new experiences. It was terrifying at first and I wished Haiden was at my side, but he was gone. The boy I grew to love left without a goodbye and I was all alone. And although things got better and years passed, I never stopped thinking about him.

I couldn't forget Haiden.