The beginning of the end.

Start from the beginning

My four legged-and only friend- Max.

"I'm sorry max. I didn't mean to wake you." I cooed. Max huffed and padded over to my bed. I patted the spot next to me and he jumped up settling himself at my side before nuzzling my thigh. I stroked his fur and scratched his head before laying back on my bed. I stared at the ceiling as I recalled meeting Max.

I had just watched my mother and sister drive away. I had held back the tears knowing they wouldn't do me any good. I would not cry. I would be strong. I had to be. I was alone now. Armed with a knife and a bucket, I decided to wonder around the forest to collect any type of berries that were edible since mother and Marie had taken most of the food from the house. I had made my way around to the other side of the street and was headed home with my bucket full of fruit when I hear a loud growl and barking coming from the fenced in yard to my left. I slowed and listened, almost entirely sure I was loosing it now and beginning to hear things when there was another growl and more barking, but this time more vicious.

Something wasn't right.

I knew it...I could sense it.

I debated on running home, but curiosity got the best of me, and I found myself slowly inching closer to the fence. I peered through a hole and gasped at the site in front of me. There was an small undead girl with dark black hair Slowly shuffling towards a dog. She had the dog backed into a corner with no room to escape. Out of instinct...I dropped my bucket and soundlessly sneaked through the gate.

I was terrified, and my body was shaking from head to toe but I knew I couldn't just leave the dog trapped. I'd never be able to live with myself knowing I could have saved him but instead left him for dead. I quietly snuck up behind the undead. Drew my knife and after a slight hesitation lunged it into the back of the girls head before screaming and shuffling quickly away landing on my butt. The girl dropped to the ground on her back unmoving...and that's when I saw how she had become undead. The sight had my stomach roiling and bile crawling up my throat.

Half her face had been ripped off with an eyeball still connected and hanging out of where the socket used to be. Her guts were hanging out of her body between the rips in her blood soaked shirt. The smell was god awful, like dead fish and sour milk if I had to take a guess. From where I was sitting I could see it all. Again my stomach roiled.

I turned slightly and puked. My stomach emptied itself until there was nothing left and I was dry heaving. I hadn't even realized I'd been crying until a soft wet nose Nuzzled into my neck. Oh god... I thought. I'm going to die. I panicked and quickly crab-crawled away thinking there was another undead about to get me, when a soft whimper cut through my panic. The dog I had saved was sitting a few feet away from me. He was a golden retriever I think, with soft looking golden orangish fur and big brown lovable eyes. He whimpered again softly before he layed down and slowly crawled on his belly slowly towards me.

When he got close enough to my feet he gave my leg a soft lick and a nuzzle before I reached out a shaky hand for him to sniff. After we had become acquainted he allowed me to check his called and I had found his information.

Max Lee.
If found please contact the Lee residence at (987)654-4321.

I had max follow me out the back fence grabbed my bucket of fruit and booked it back to my house with max hot on my trail. Once we were inside I barricaded the doors and windows to the best of my abbilitly before trying the house phone. It went strait to voicemail and I let whoever the owners were know I had there dog so they wouldn't go looking for him. Since that day its just been me and him. I have to say though its a lot better than being completely alone in this mess.

I was brought out of my thoughts when max began to growl lowly. I sat upright on my bed and looked around the room quietly trying to figure out what had set him off. We sat there listening for any noise coming from inside the house but I heard nothing. "What is it Max, what's the matter?" I questioned him quietly. Max slowly crawled towards the window looking out of it towards the house across the street. There was a light in the room abve the garage flickering on and off in patterns. I didnt understand what was hapoening at first but then it dawned on me and i could have slapped myself. I knew this...Morse code.

Are you there? The person asked. Then repeated the code again.

I quickly reached for my flashlight only to hesitate. What if it wasn't Max's owner? What if it's some creepy creep looking for a new victim. The whole worlds pretty much gone to shit. They could get away with pretty much any crime, but then again who else would even think to signal my house?

Is anyone there? The signaler asked.

I drew in a deep breath and took a long hard look at Max whose nose was now pressed to the glass and was whimpering softly. I took all the courage I had in me lifted my flashlight and pressed it to the window and did something that could change everything.

Click on. Point up.
Point down. Click off.

Yes.

I answered...