Chapter 16: Overwhelmed

Mikki's POV
I didn't want talk on the ride back to the hotel, just listening to the chatter, my head on Jungkook's shoulder. They all sounded so tired. Yoongi and Jimin had fallen asleep. Jin was reading Tweets about Jungkook and I, eyebrows creasing, looking at comments on the many videos of him and I. "What are they saying about us?" Jungkook looked at Jin. Jin glanced at me and shook his head. "C'mon. It can't be that bad. ARMY can handle-"

"They hate her, Jungkook." Jin sighed.

"What?" I sat up straight and took out my phone, going on Twitter. I had lost many of my followers and I was tagged in millions of hate comments. There was the occasional post sticking up for me but it wasn't even a million positive comments. "See? I knew this was a bad idea." I buried my face in my hands, sniffling as tears came to my eyes.

"Mikki, don't do this. Don't let them get to you. It will pass. I promise. Please, don't let them hurt you like this. They'll love you soon enough. We have to get them to love you." Jungkook lifted my head so our eyes met. "ARMY will love you."

"Jungkook, I don't think they'll ever-"

"No. They will." Jungkook cut me off. "No one is going to get between us. Not even ARMY. I won't let them."

"That's not the only problem, Jungkook. They're unstanning. Your fans are leaving you for other members or other bands and-"

"All I need is you." Jungkook kissed my lips softly.

"Jungkook, maybe she's right." Yoongi cleared his throat. "You've worked hard to get where you are and this will only hurt your progress..."

"No." Jungkook's jaw clenched and he hugged me tightly. "I just got her to be mine. I'm not going to lose her because my fans can't handle me being in love."

"What?" I coughed, feeling myself go pale. My jaw hung open in disbelief. There was no way. He couldn't have said that.

"I'm in love with you." Jungkook murmured, lowering his forehead to mine. "I love you."

My chest ached and my heart began to beat quickly. My breath hitched and I turned my face away from him, leaning into Jin. "It's too early to say that, Jungkook. We haven't even known each other long enough to say-"

"I didn't say it to hear it back, jagiya." Jungkook chuckled. "Whenever you're ready. And if you never are, that's okay too. I'm a grown man. I can handle it."

"Jungkook, this is just too much all at once."

"This isn't a conversation for all of Bangtan to hear." Namjoon cleared his throat. "If you guys want to discuss that in the hall once we get to the hotel, that would be better than right now."

"Fine." I rolled my eyes and felt Jin shift me so I was back in Jungkook's arms.

"Jungkook, it's your job to look after her now. She's your responsibility until summer ends." Seokjin looked out the window, passing me along to the next man in my life.

"Until summer ends." I echoed. "That's just how long we'll last isn't it?" I looked up at Jungkook. "ARMY thinks so. They said you'll drop me as soon as I go back home."

"I won't. They're wrong." Jungkook clenched his jaw, hands balling into fists.

"They said you won't be able to handle long distance." I shook my head. "I don't think they're wrong. You're very physical."

"I can and I will." Jungkook spat, catching me off guard and silencing me for a few minutes.

We got to the hotel entrance, being dropped off by the doors before the driver left. I didn't follow everyone inside and Jungkook stayed outside with me. "They said as soon as Bighit reduces your pay because of all the fans leaving you, that you'll drop me." My lip quivered. "You'll break up with me to save your career."

"I won't break up with you! Mikki, can you stop being so stupid for two minutes for me to just talk to you like a normal couple?!" Jungkook raised his voice at me. "You turn everything into some big drama!" I took a step back, tears welling up in my eyes. "Mikki... Mikki, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I-"

"Is that what you think I am? Stupid? Over dramatic?" I sniffled. "Fine. Fine!" I turned my back to him and started walking. "I'll give you a break!"

"Where are you going?" He groaned, voice growing more and more distant. "You don't speak English! You'll be lost out there!"

"I-I just need some air!" I took off running and hid in the crowd across the street where he couldn't stop me.

"MIKKI!!!" I vaguely heard him scream after me but all I wanted was to get away. I needed to think. I could find a map or ask for directions later. I just needed to breathe and think and clear my mind before I did anything I would regret.