IT'S OVER - chapter 16

IT'S OVER...

By Mallory Quinn

Chapter 16

"Meditation time"

It was snowing abundantly on the first day of the year 1919. Candy was looking out the window of the room Tom had given her. The little Candice-Marie was asleep in her arms. Tears of sadness were coming down her cheeks, when she thought about the events of the New Year's Eve party. Michael... he had been so cruel to her, but he felt so betrayed... but why didn't she tell him the truth from the beginning? A part of her wanted to continue seeing Terry.... It was almost stronger than her. To see Terry at the war was a delight she didn't want to do without. But... she should've told Michael the truth, now he had heard Eliza's awfully mean and deformed version and he was very angry.

- Candy? Said Tom's voice, are you ok? She's asleep?

- Yes, Tom I'm going to put her to bed...

She went to put Tom's little girl in her crib after kissing her on the forehead. She went back to her room, lay down on the bed. Albert had brought her to her brother Tom's house, per her request. This last one was happy to help his little sister. When Albert went back to Chicago, Candy told Tom what had happened.

- Oh my God, my poor Candy

- It's my fault, I should've told him the truth from the beginning...

- Maybe, but you were protecting him...

- But now, it's like I did it deliberately to be with Terry in front of my husband... but I didn't see it that way, they were best friends, it was the war... I thought Michael could do without the hostility he would've felt toward Terry...

- Candy your heart was in the right place... you can stay here as long as you want...

- Thank you Tommy, said Candy hugging him and I can take care of Candice-Marie...

- You have to rest...

- I have to practice; I will have my baby soon, in 4 months....

- Ok, said Tom's wife, but if you get tired, tell me...

- Don't hold your breath, said Tom laughing, Candy will never get tired of taking care of children!

Candy smiled. That's how she was living at Tom's to get over what happened to her and to think. Her friends; she will call them from time to time from the village. They will understand that Candy needed to be alone.

Candy's friends were wondering when she was coming back. Albert didn't want to say anything; he simply told them that she'll come back when she's ready.

Michael was at his cousin's, also thinking. He felt so betrayed, by his wife, and his best friend. To learn that they almost got married...The woman Terry talked about with so much love was his wife! They spent all that time together... Terry told him nothing happened, but Eliza said the opposite...Eliza? How could he believe a word coming out of her mouth...? But Eliza told him the truth.... Something Candy and Terry didn't do... Candy wanted to talk before the reception, but he didn't give her a chance... Maybe she wanted to tell him the truth? Was the baby really his? Oh, he loved her so much! He couldn't imagine himself without her, it was much too painful to even thinking about it. But he needed time to calm himself and to get over the situation.

In New York, Terry was thinking about Candy. How was she? Did she solve her problem? Oh my God, he wanted so much to see her, to console her, but most of all to take her and run away with her with his son for parts unknown, a far away country like Australia or New Zeeland, where they could live their love freely, far away from disapproving eyes... but it was only a dream that would never come true... they both had commitment to honour, spouses and children... He wanted to go and look for her, but he couldn't. He had to let her fix her problems with her husband. He would only be a reminder of the betrayal...Susanna was still asking him what had happened with Candy in France, but Terry told her that it was none of her concern, and that nothing happened at all! Terry, since his return, was spending all of his free time with his son and continued to ignore Susanna. This whole situation with Candy had upset him a lot. Michael had been his best friend during the war, even after he learned that he was Candy's husband. Michael felt of course betrayed, he wanted to explain to him it was not the case, yes, they were wrong not to tell him anything, but they respected their marriage vows. He could only pray that the situation gets solved. Candy was going to have a baby; and a baby needs its father, Michael.