IT'S OVER - chapter 1

IT'S OVER...

By Mallory Quinn

Chapter 1

"A dangerous decision"

Summer was gone to leave the place to the fresh air of fall. It was the year 1915, Europe was still at war and thousands of people were dying every day. America, who was situated on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean from Europe, seemed to have been spared only by its land and its goods, thanks to its geographical situation. Because, among the thousand of voluntary that were going to the war, a lot were killed. Doctors and nurses were in need; a lot of them were getting killed. Volunteers were needed from all over the world. The war was spreading worldwide, little by little.

Candy was still working at the Happy clinic and her days were always full. She was still living alone in the little apartment she used to share with Albert.... Albert... She loved him a lot and she cherished every second spent with him. Then to learn that he was her Uncle William, her benefactor...he immediately stopped her forces nuptials with Neil Reagan. The calm had come back into her life. She had a routine. She was still nice and smiling even when she was sad, so she won't worry her entourage. She often thought about her friend and colleague Flammy Hamilton, who was sent to the front, how courageous she was. If it had been her, maybe she would've avoided all that pain and suffering brought by her break up with Terry.... Terry... Terrence Grandchester, the love of her life, which she had sacrificed for duty and moral obligation. Duty and moral obligation...but the pain was still there. When she had nothing else to do, when she had nothing to say, when she was not busy doing something or talking to people... she thought about him, about their lost happiness. No.... that was not true, she always thought about him, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

She had just arrived at the apartment, after a busy day at the clinic. She ate her dinner and sat down to read the paper. When she got to the society page, she saw a picture that shocked her. She read the headline of the page;

"THE WEDDING OF THE CENTURY IN THE THEATRE WORLD: TERRENCE GRANDCHESTER MARRIES SUSANNA MARLOWE! So the legend of theatre is true, all the actors playing Romeo and Juliet end up getting married... But Susanna..."

Candy's eyes were filled with tears and it started to come down her cheeks, abundantly. It was not fair! Terry, it was her Terry! She should've married Terry! She had received a one-way ticket for New York. Terry wanted her to stay with him, so they could live their life together...but she had left him to make it easy for him. He had caught her on the hospital stairs, to wish her good luck... wish her good luck! He didn't ask her to stay, to find a solution together... but to wish her good luck and make her promise she would be happy... he had let her go. She had left without turning back once.

Now, he had married Susanna Marlowe, Susanna who had prevented her from seeing Terry, Susanna who had saved Terry's life and lost her leg, Susanna who was crazy in love with her Terry...

"Oh Terry, if I had known it would hurt so much, continuously, I would never have left you..."

She was sad and she was also angry... Angry with the world, the universe, destiny! She was an orphan; she didn't have any family, abandoned as a baby, adopted to be almost reduced to slavery by the Reagans. She thought she had found happiness with Anthony, her prince, who had come to deliver her from the evil Reagans. She felt like Cinderella with him... but the happiness was short lived, too short... then there was Terry, her soul mate and that too was short lived. They say you have to do good around you so you can live in peace with everybody and the world will be good to you. The bible says

"Seek first the Kingdom of heaven, and God's justice. And every thing will be given to you in addition..."

She went to church, she prayed, she helped people as much as she could, she was always devoted to help others in need... she was not selfish, on the contrary, she was generosity incarnate! The only thing she wanted was to live with the man she loved. But even that, she put someone else needs before hers; the only thing for which she could've been selfish and every body would have understood her, she gave it up for duty and moral obligation, for Terry. Maybe she was too good for her own good? Maybe she should've stayed with the one she loved with all her heart? But, didn't she do a selfless act? Shouldn't she be rewarded?