IT'S OVER - chapter 9

IT'S OVER...

By Mallory Quinn

Chapter 9

"The surprises of life"

There was a lot of snow outside. The trip to the frontier happened in peace. They were talking about all and nothing, and were laughing out loud. When they arrived not too far from the frontier, Terry had something to say.

- Freckles, are you wearing your wedding ring?

- Yes....

- I'm also wearing mine...

- Why? She asked skeptical

- We're going in the enemy's camp, a beautiful woman alone...

- You're with me...

- Yes, but if they knew that we have other spouses...

- You want to us to make them believe we're married? She guessed

- It would be less dangerous for you... we'll pretend, that's all...

- Pretend?

Pretend to be married to Terry? That's a really bad joke!

- You've got to be kidding me!

- Unfortunately, no...

- But... we can't... she said worried

- Is it that hard for you to pretend to be my wife? He said suddenly, I know you don't love me anymore, but we were friends, weren't we?

Terry was angry, why was she making such a fuss? Was it so disgusting for her to make people believe they were married?

Candy was hesitating because "to pretend" to be Terry's wife... " to pretend"... that's what she wanted with all her heart, what she wished things were like... it was hard, it was a dream that had become reality for the mission... But she didn't want to show she was happy.

- Terry, no need to yell. I'm perfectly capable of pretending to be your wife. All I have to do is think about Michael

She had to think about Michael to pretend to be his wife? Thought Terry. His male pride was hurt. Whatever!

- Just pretend! He said dryly, let's go

They arrived at the German frontier. There was very long queue and the formalities were taking forever. During war time, it was the law of the jungle. The custom officers were like kings over there, they were doing whatever they wanted, whatever pleased them. Came the time for Candy and Terry's turn, finally after those long hours of waiting in the cold. A woman came out of the office crying and visibly upset...Candy was wondering what could've put the poor woman in that state. They entered the office. The custom officer had his eye on Candy, a look of desire of the flesh...

- Your papers are in order. You're American? What a nice girl like you, is doing in a place like this?

- I'm with the Red Cross to help taking care of the wounded...

- Hum hum, said the custom officer, you're a child, so sweet, so innocent...

- She's my wife said Terry approaching her

- You're her husband? He asked skeptical

- Honey, said Candy, it's ok...

- He's got his eye on you... said Terry

- For you, everybody has their eye on me said Candy

- You're not here to fight about your marriage said the custom officer...I'm in a good mood now I just got lucky... Married women, for today are sacred even the American ones... single women today have to pay me in nature or those who pretend to be married but are actually alone or single...said the custom officer cackling, buy any body could pretend to her husband...