Chapter 14.3

(Note: I wouldn't classify this chapter as explicit, but it does contain descriptions of medical procedures. If that makes your tummy sad, proceed with caution.)

The Z-1 is designed to cope with punctures and loss of pressure. Like the Orlan-M, it boasts a Leak Compensation System that pumps up air pressure in response to falling psi. Because every spacesuit leaks to some degree (there's too many joints and o-rings to make a perfect seal) it's a matter of what the LCS can cope with and what it can't. Aula feels the increase in air flow as she's lowered from the MAF's platform. It's embarrassing, but her vision is almost completely compromised. She keeps her head straight, though her whole body feels like an overtaxed elastic band. If she keeps her mouth perfectly still and swallows without using her tongue, the pain is manageable. Whatever foreign object is in her helmet lodges itself near her chin. Its chill is softening in the ambient warmth of her suit.

Her boots hit regolith. She stands up using the tether to steady herself. She needn't bother. Bauer frees her and hooks his arm with hers. Harvey does the same on her left side, which still aches. They half carry, half guide her back to one of the SEVs. SEV-2 is closer, but she's lost all sense of orientation around the site.

Bauer gives her little nudge. "How you doing in there, Reed?"

She groans.

"I thought as much."

"I've been on the internet a while," Harvey chimes in. "Of all the things people imagine you doing on a pole, this isn't one of them."

It hurts like nothing else, but she makes the effort to speak. "Ash'oh."

Shaping syllables is difficult while blood and saliva dribbling down the new valley through her lips. They're trying to assess her level of consciousness, especially since they can't clearly see her face, but it doesn't mean she has to like it. They stop. Bauer lets her go and presumably starts climbing one of the SEV's ladders. She can't see much besides the suggestion of shapes.

"Lift your arm if you can, Reed."

She raises her arm as much as the Z-1's torso will allow. Bauer grasps her hand in both of his and draws her forward. The SEVs aren't that high off the ground, but he must be leaning precariously far over to reach her. It takes two tries for her to put her boot on the first rung. Harvey releases her other arm and she's free to climb somewhat under her own power. Three steps up, however, leave her winded. It's as if someone emptied out all her innards and replaced them with dirt.

Hands press against her rear and shove her up. She grunts her displeasure, but keeps climbing.

"I'm gay," he says. "It doesn't count."

"Teh Rosh 'at."

Harvey laughs. It's weak, but he laughs. "Got her, Ben?"

He hauls her onto the SEV. "Yup."

Bauer takes both of her hands in his and steers her around. She walks backwards until her PLSS hits the airlock. He gently grasps her shoulders and turns her to the left and back. The suit-port plate locks neatly with the SEV's hatch.

His hands drop away from her. "How's pressure looking, Houston?"

"Holding steady at 0.27 atmo," Hinton replies.

"Good." Relief is clear in Bauer's voice. "Ready to dock."

"Go when ready."

"You ready, Reed?"

If pressure in her suit drops too low, reentering the SEV would give her the bends. Having gas in her bloodstream bubble out of solution would be the icing on the cake. She gives a passable thumbs up. Bauer engages her suit's hatch and she feels cool air rush in across her back. Although the leak in her Z-1 isn't catastrophic, exposing the rest of the SEV's atmosphere to it makes her uneasy. She struggles to manoeuvre herself out of the suit, but she only succeeds in brushing her chin against the cold object in her helmet. The contact is brief but painful. She gasps involuntarily. A wet, sick sound over comm.