Kay looked over the lake at their friends and her heart sank. "We can't ask them to leave. They're so happy here," she whispered.

He nodded, looking at Joey and Kelly, too. "So I guess I'll be taking you home then."

She nodded back, though her insides tightened at the very thought. She didn't want to leave. She was happy here, away from it all, surrounded by people who actually cared about her. Two and a half more days at home without Kelly to cheer her up sounded like a nightmare. But staying there with them was out of the question. Her moping would surely ruin their mood.

"I'll go pack up," she said, cringing at how wet her voice sounded.

Kyle threw her a concerned glance, then called Joey over. Kay made her way to the cabin, wiping away her tears and trying to prepare for what would happen. At least she had company on the ride back.

Just as she was zipping her backpack closed, Kelly burst in, her hair wet, dripping water all over the floor.

"Kay, you don't have to leave," she said desperately. "We'll figure something out."

"No. You and Joey deserve to spend a lovely, romantic weekend without my moping shadow around." At least that much she was sure of. "I'll be fine."

Kelly seemed on the verge of tears, but she nodded stoically. "I'll come over as soon as we get back."

Kay hugged her and marched out the door before she could start crying again. Fortunately, Kyle and Joey were already by the car. Joey had a frown on his face, and luckily squeezed her shoulder instead of hugging her, since he was half naked.

"I so hate this guy right now," he said. "We'll drop by as soon as possible. Thanks so much, Kay."

She smiled weakly and hurried inside the car. Kyle, got in the driver's seat, started up the red monster and pulled out of the gravel driveway, throwing pebbles in all directions. None of them spoke until they exited the woods.

"You don't want to go home," Kyle finally said.

It wasn't a question. "It's just hard, you know? Donnie and I grew up together and everything in that house reminds me of him. Plus, I'm a little afraid my mom might blow Kelly's cover."

"There is another option, you know," he said warily.

Kay turned to him, hope momentarily loosening the knot in her chest.

"You could stay at my place and have Joey and Kelly pick you up and take you home."

"That's the most brilliant idea I've ever heard." Okay, he was literally a genius. Exploring Max Tanner's huge ranch and getting coached some more by Kyle might actually make her brave enough to go back to school. Because she couldn't sit around and mope forever.

Kyle smirked. "I see you're putting my teachings to good use."

"How so?" she asked, surprised.

"Because the old you would have fed me some bullshit about how you wouldn't want to impose and that you'll be fine. Instead, you told me what you wanted, not caring that maybe I was just being polite."

God, she hadn't even considered turning him down because she so wanted this, rudeness be damned. But he was right. And it felt good. She cuddled up in the leather seat and crossed her arms over her chest. "Huh, what do you know? I guess you're starting to rub off on me. Though this doesn't really count since I know you don't just say things to be polite."

He grinned. "You're getting to know me. Since we've decided, there's no point making the journey longer than it has to be. Hold on tight."

Before she could ask why, he floored the gas and the car shot forward with impressive torque. Kay's back pressed into the seat and her fingers dug into her knees, but she refused to latch onto the door like some scared animal. She liked fast cars. The speed just took some getting used to.