Chapter Four

Lauren's POV

Game day. I was excited. We were playing a friendly game against Mexico; something to keep our bodies used to playing 75 plus minutes during games.

I had just gotten off of FaceTime with my girls when one of the trainers told us it was time to go warm up. I took one last swig of my water before following my teammates out onto the pitch.

Walking through the tunnel has to be one of my favorite parts about being a professional athlete. Hearing all the screaming fans shouting your name with their big smiles, hearing them chants for you; it all made the sacrifices away from Camila and Savannah worth it.

Of course I'd like them here though.

I walked over to a drill with Alex Morgan, another forward who I usually play with. We have a great connection and everyone calls is the dynamic duo.

Being the youngest on the team wasn't easy. There's so much pressure on my shoulders to be able to keep up with all the veterans on the team, players who I grew up watching on the tv. Everyone is always asking me if I regret giving up my last years before adulthood but I gave that all up when Camila became pregnant.

Everyone knows I have a penis, something I was born with. Genetically, I am considered a female and have female internal organs, which is why I play on the women's team. It's not a secret. Half the time people forget all about it, including myself. And then I get a ball to the crotch and remember.

I juggled a ball, a couple of feet away from the other girls. It was a pre-game ritual. I needed the time to myself the focus on soccer, not anything else going on in my life. Of course my family and girls were in the back of my head but for the next 90 plus minutes, my brain was on soccer mode.

Jill decided to start me today as right forward, my favorite position. Alex on my left. Rapino, Lloyd, Brian, and Heath as the midfielders  Kling, Sauerbroon, Johnston, and Krieger as the defenders. Hope in goal.

This was our typical line-up. Normally around the 70th minute Jill will start subbing, maybe at halftime if we have a big lead. I don't get upset if I get subbed, which normally happens. There are girls on the team who's spots I've taken and I think it's just as fair that they get their spot back every once and a while.

*29 minutes later*

It was now the 25th minute of the game, Ali Krieger was getting ready to do a throw in just at the midfield line when the fourth official held up the sub-board.

That's weird.

It had my number on it, leaving, and Christen Press coming in.

I thought to myself, thinking that I've played a decent game so far. I'm not hurt, still have some stamina left, and even had some great shots on goal.

Oh well.

I hug Christen at the side line then go over to sit on the bench when I'm stopped.

It's Max, one of the trainers on the team.

"Lauren we have to go. Camila's in the hospital."

~~~
"For the last time, I'm okay. It's just a broken wrist and a concussion. You don't have to worry about me Lauren!"

"Well that's part of my job description so sorry toots. Now go lay on the couch while I get your pain meds."

Camila and Savannah had gotten into a car accident on their way home from the doctors. Nothing major, her car had to be towed though. They were pulling out of the doctors office as a car was pulling in and they didn't make a sharp enough turn so the two front ends collided and Camila smacked her head on the steering wheel and somehow broke her wrist.

Savannah didn't have a scratch on her. I made the hospital run every single test possible on both of my girls just so we didn't have any surprises. Savannah was just shaken up by the whole accident and was currently spending the night at my mothers so Camila can rest and heal for the night.

We ended up winning our game due to a penalty kick right after half time. I was in such a rush and a nervous reck that I didn't even think about the game until the car ride home when I heard the score over the radio.

Speaking of soccer, I should probably check my phone and respond to the dozen of texts I know I have from my teammates.

I grabbed Camila's medicine from my bag, a bottle of water from the fridge, and banana for her to eat before jointing my girlfriend on the couch.

She was laying sideways, taking up the whole couch, so I lifted up her legs gently and sat underneath them, resting her legs on top of my thighs.

"Here baby, I have your pills, a banana, and water."

"Thank you my love." She grabbed everything from my hand and the water from the table and gulped down the meds, followed by shoving her banana into her mouth.

I dug for my phone in my pocket and skimmed through the mass amount of texts, reading each one softly to Camila before sending out one massive text to all the girls and coaching staff.

'Hey everyone. My girls are okay. Camila got into a small car accident when leaving the doctors office with Savannah, resulting in a broken wrist and mild concussion and not a scratch on Anna, just very shaken up. Home and resting for the next couple of days. Thank you for the love and prayers. Camila says thank you as well. Congrats on the win! -Lauren & Camila'

I read the text out loud and made sure Camila approved before hitting send.

"Thank you for everything, Superstar"