The joys of realisation

Keith and Lance are just so in love.

***************************

They'd and finally made it back home. Lance was over the moon; he'd been giddy ever since they'd entered Earth's atmosphere, even though they'd now been back for two weeks.

Shiro had claimed responsibility for the actions of the whole crew so that only he was questioned by their government and army, however things seemed to have drastically changed since they'd been away.

For example, the whole space program had expanded so much that they had bases in each country throughout the entire world, hover crafts were used by so many people that many brands of cars and motorbikes were officially vintage, and now everyone had no choice but to believe in aliens! There were actual defences against aliens! The crew couldn't get over it and Coran had immediately gone round to check them all with the army engineers who'd designed them.

Shiro found out that somehow the people back on Earth had managed to lock onto Pidge's signal from the equipment she'd taken from the space program and form a one-way video connection to the castle. This meant that everything that they'd encountered in their fight against the Galra Empire has been sent back to Earth and they were...well, Voltron was famous. They'd been gone for three years. Even Allura and Coran were famous on their little rock in space (as Coran had adoringly nicknamed it in front of all the leaders of the planet during a conference call).

The crew were kept at the closest space station to where they'd landed, which happened to be in Georgia, USA, and that was where their families all quickly rushed to meet them. Keith's last foster parents had passed away after he'd dropped out of the space program, but that didn't seem to be a problem as Lance immediately dragged him out to meet his family as soon as he was notified of their arrival, despite Keith's protests. The red paladin thought that there had been some kind of mistake when at least five cars pulled up outside of the space base, that maybe the rest of the crew's families were also there. But no. Lance just had a lot of family. And it was a tearful reunion, especially when Lance found out he now had a baby sister.

Keith felt like he was intruding, but after meeting his parents, five siblings, a brother-in-law, two grandmothers and a grandfather, three cousins, two nephews, a niece, a sister-in-law, two aunts and three uncles, as well as five dogs, and being mistaken as Lance's boyfriend at least five times, he felt more at ease. Lance's nephew's and niece had immediately taken a liking to him, as well as his mother and grandmother's, who cooed over his eyes and told him that he should cut his hair, much to Keith's embarrassment and Lance's absolute joy.

This was how Keith ended up staying with the Sanchez's, after an argument with the entire crew, who all said that there was no way in hell he was going back to his desert shack. Only Shiro knew of the crush Keith had secretly been harbouring for his old rival, and the red paladin really didn't want to have to deal with the inevitable heartache he'd be forced to go through if he moved in with Lance. Yet the commander had only encouraged him.
"It'll be good for you," he'd said with a smirk," and you never know how things might turn out." Keith had been sure that Shiro was just teasing him, but their leader refused to discuss it any further.

***************************************

Anyway, so two weeks after their arrival home, the crew found themselves at the hover craft races that were becoming increasingly popular. They weren't really that surprised to see Allura at the START line, already high off of the adrenaline that comes before the start of a race. She'd immediately taken to the recently introduced sport when she'd caught an army officer practicing for a race the weeks before. He'd been more than happy to show her how it worked and she was a fast learner. With Coran by her side you'd think she'd be unbeatable, but the crew were shocked to see that their fellow Earth dwellers were quite good.