chapter fourteen

he pulled me into his chest and I stained his t-shirt with my tears. "c-can you go get Mario for me?" I barely managed to choke out; it felt like I was hyperventilating. my breathing was so short and fast, I could barely talk. "yeah I'll be right back." he came back in a few minutes later with a sleepy Mario. "hey, are you okay? what happened? jULIAN!" "n-no it wasn't him. y-you know h-how I-" he cut me off. "hold on. before you say anything..." he walked out of the room. I heard water running in the kitchen and Mario walked in seconds later with a glass of water. "drink this," he continued. I sipped it lightly and began to talk. "okay, so you know how I have that think with the dark?" I asked. I quickly realized that my stuttering had ceased. "wait what thing with the dark?" Julian looked confused. Mario answered him for me. "she has this thing with the dark. she's not afraid of it or anything, she's afraid of what's in it. it kinda just happened. she got it when we were like 5 or something so when she wakes up in the middle of the night she starts to freak out because she can't see anything. she hates not knowing what's happening around her, so when we were little, she'd sleep on the bottom bunk with a night light so in case she woke up, she could still see." he explained. "now I just leave my window blinds up so if I wake up I can see because of the street lights outside my window." I said, still sipping the water. "anyway, what happened?" Mario asked. "well I woke up and the room was pitch black. like I couldn't see a thing at all. the room started spinning and the walls felt like they were closing in on me; my breathing started getting shorter and I panicked." I explained to them both. "it sounds like you had a panic attack," Mama Jara said, coming around the corner. Violet walked in behind her. "oh my gosh, did I wake you all up? I'm so sorry." I said, feeling terrible that I was keeping them all from sleeping. "no, no honey come here," Mama Jara said. I got up and hugged her. "you're okay, it's gonna be okay. we're all here, nothing is gonna happen to you, okay?"