6 ~ Michonne

"Rick!.... Rick!" Daryl busts through the door. Maggie and I are holding hands on the bed. Jesus stands beside us with Maggie's Bible open. And Carl, arms crossed, leans against the wall by the bathroom "witnessing." 

"What the..." Through his mop of hair, Daryl's eyes take in Jesus with the Bible and a smirk rises on his face. "Oh, I gotta hear this." 

Jesus sighs and snaps the Bible shut. "Do you?" he asks Maggie and me. 

"I do," I say, gazing at Maggie wondering, as always, what's going on behind those green eyes. I've wondered that since we were on Hershel's farm. There was always something about her. Something different about the way she thought and carried herself. She kept her family alive. They needed her — and just now I realize they probably knew it all along. 

Maggie smiles. "I—"

"Woah. Woah. Woah." Daryl steps forward. "That ain't how you do it." 

"Daryl," Maggie sighs, closing her eyes. 

"What's your problem?" I snap. 

Daryl snatches the Bible. "You're tryin' to have a real weddin' and you don't even have a best man..." 

"You want to be my best man?" Daryl never ceases to surprise me. I guess that's what I like about him — he's like Maggie in that way. 

"Who else is gonna do it?" Daryl says like he doesn't care, which means he does. 

"No one. We didn't have time to wait to ask." 

"Ain't gonna take more than five minutes. You got that?" Daryl eyes Maggie, which means he wins. Carl sighs and Jesus's jaw tightens, but he doesn't protest. 

***

"Ready?" Daryl says, standing on my side of the bed. 

I wrap my arms around his neck to make it easier for him to lift me. "Ready." 

"You don't have to do this," Rick insists. 

"Glenn would have wanted it." And now I want whatever Glenn would have wanted. The rest of my life is for him. Daddy would say that life is for God above, and I agree, but God's got Glenn now which means he's got me too. I'm already there with him. The rest of me, the part left in this crazy world, it's for Glenn. 

Daryl lifts me. "Rings, kid." He nods at Carl — Daryl elected him as ring bearer.

When we're out in the hall, Carl shuts the door and waits for Daryl's cue. Warm, golden sunlight shines through the hall window I'm not allowed to go near. I gaze at it and imagine the warm light on my skin. 

Daryl shifts me in his arms, grunting. "Dang girl, you're gettin' heavy." 

"Don't let Rick hear you say that," I warn him. Rick's for Glenn too, and Michonne and Lori. It's crazy how the more we love the larger our capacity for love grows. With us, we carry everyone we ever cared for. For Rick and me, that's a lot of people — a lot of the same people. So, I guess this life is for Rick too, and Beth, and Daddy, and everyone. 

"I'd like to see him try..."

"Can we go now?" Carl sighs, impatient to run off to the infirmary. I wonder how long before he and Enid become an item. What will that even look like for him? It's not like he can take her out on a date. And relationships these days are so serious so fast.... 

"Chill," Daryl interrupts my worrying. "She'll still be there in five minutes." Daryl inhales a deep breath and then begins humming the wedding march — his version of it. I take it he never went to a whole lot of weddings.