Chapter 23

There's a brief moment of silence once Samantha had stormed out. When everyone was sure she wasn't going to return, the cafeteria instantly returns to loud chatter as everyone returns to what they were originally doing.

"Wow, Matt," Abby says, stunned by what Matt had done. "That was very impressive."

"Good job, Matt," Bailey adds. "It's about time someone stood up to her like that."

Tayvon hurries over to us. "Dude, I can't believe you said those things to her."

Matt doesn't respond to any of my friends. All he does is keep his eyes on me.

"Thank you, Matt," I finally say. "No one has ever done that for me before."

The bell rings, and students around us began clearing their tables, and saying their final goodbyes to their friends before heading off to class.

"Can we talk, please, Hailey?" Matt asks me.

"Now? We have class."

Matt doesn't answer me. He grabs my good hand, and pulls me along, pushing past our friends. We make our way through the crowded corridor to outside, heading over to the field where the bleaches were.

"We are going to be in trouble for skipping class, Matt."

"I will take full responsibility if we do."

He leads me to the top row of the bleachers and sits down. We sit close to each other, but we don't cuddle. The temperature in the sun was hot, and it was expected to get even hotter by midday. I wasn't sure what the temperature was right now, but I didn't mind the heat.

"I want to apologise again for what I did," Matt says.

"You don't need to keep apologising, Matt."

"I know. I just hate that I have put you through so much pain."

He looks down at my hand resting on my thigh. He reaches over and takes it into his. At his touch, I felt a spark between us. For a moment we don't say anything at all except staring at our joint hands.

"All of those things you said about me in the cafeteria, did you mean it?" I ask. "You know about being incredible and beautiful?"

He glances up at me, staring into my eyes. "Of course I mean it, Hailey. You're an amazing person and I'm thankful for having you as a friend."

"So all of the things Samantha said about the reasons why you don't like me is not true?"

He shakes his head. "No, Hailey." He turns his body to the side, facing me. "Don't ever let Samantha's words discourage you, or to make you feel like you aren't good enough for anyone. That's what she wants you to feel. I have told you this before. I don't dislike you because you're fat, ugly or because you're clumsy. That's what Samantha says. I don't think you're fat or ugly. You're a perfectly good weight. You're no size eight, but I don't care if you aren't. I have hooked up with girls who were a little bigger than you. Samantha doesn't know me, so she doesn't know what I like. You aren't ugly. Don't even think that for a second. And yes, you're clumsy, but I don't mind if you are. It's part of your trait, and I love it."

I smile at his words, which instantly made me feel better. It was stupid of me to even believe anything Samantha had said, and I don't know why I allowed her to think she could just walk all over me.

"So what happens now?" I ask. "Do we date or are we just going to continue being just friends?"

He shrugs. He reaches out and takes a strand of my hair behind my ear. "I don't know. I have been trying to work out what these feelings I have actually mean." He drops his arm and sets it on his thigh. "I have never been in a relationship with anyone before, but there was just something with the way we kissed that felt different from the girls I have kissed. Honestly, I have never felt any guilt of hurting any of the girls I used for one thing until that day at the party. I should have pushed Samantha off me, but I didn't. For the last four days I have hated myself for what I have done. I just don't even know what my feelings are towards you."

I nod, understanding his concern. Maybe we moved too fast and should have waited to take on this huge step.

"So what should we do? Should we remain as friends or should we take the next step?"

"I think we should just be friends. As much as I want to say I have feelings for you, but I don't, Hailey. I'm still trying to come to sense what this feeling is towards you. Maybe in a few months' time my feelings might change and I will consider taking the next step. I can't help to feel we have rushed into things too quickly. So let's remain as friends."

I nod, biting my lip as tears begin to fill my eyes, my heart crushing in my chest. As much as I was hoping that Matt will be my first boyfriend, I knew he was right. We did move too quickly. So quickly we were left confused with how we really felt. But hopefully in a few months we could be in a relationship with each other.

Matt pulls me closely to him, hugging me tightly as I cried into his chest.

"But don't worry, Hailey. I will still be your date for prom."