Chapter Four-Traitor

Start from the beginning

Vega wrinkled her brow and twisted the end of her braid around her finger. Before Wren had disappeared, they had been best of friends. Inseparable. "You think she'll be all right?" she asked.

I'd seen what she had. It was hard to say. "We'll know when we get there. No sense worrying about things that have yet to pass. Right?"

She nodded and took a deep breath and drove her feet into the dirt. The determination on her face said there was no way she wasn't going to be there when her friend needed her the most.

I thumbed my charms, took one last look at the sky and started down the path after them.

(Wren speaking)

The fire was bittersweet. While it warmed my toes and the soup we had for dinner, the guilt was burning me up inside. I should have said, no, to letting Jaxon help me.

Sage nudged me. "Wren, are you okay?"

"Hmm? Yeah, why?"

"I've said your name like five times and you sat there with that blank look on your face staring into the flames."

I looked around. "Where are the guys?"

"Kellan went to grab a few more twigs and logs for the fire and Robin went that way, I think to pee," she whispered. She adjusted her position on the log we were sitting on. "Can't be sure, but he said he'd be back in a couple minutes. So what's picking at you?"

"That transparent?" I brushed the dirt from my jeans.

"Well, maybe not quite as transparent as you were in the cafe when I found you and Kellan invisible. But, yeah, it's obvious."

"Want to know how I got that fire started?" I stared into the flames.

"That was awesome! I can't believe you figured out how to do that. Most people take years to figure out their ring partners abilities."

"Well, that's because I didn't exactly do it all by myself." I cringed as I made my confession to her.

Her eyes went wide as she took in what that meant. "Nooo. You mean, Jax? He was helping you?" Both her hands covered her cheeks, and she gasped. "Geez, do you think Kellan suspects?"

"I don't know. But I'm not exactly happy about accepting Jax's help."

"I can't believe he helped you. You have to tell me, what'd he say? Pleeeaase," she said begging drawing the word out.

I was just about to say no when she put her hands together and started whimpering like a puppy. "Fine." I sighed. "He could sense that I was calling for the fire somehow. That's when he connected to my thoughts. Don't ask me how, but he knew I was trying to win that competition against Kellan."

"Let me guess. He was more than happy to help kick his butt."

"Yup. He wasn't thrilled to hear what the winner got for winning. But he wasn't complaining that Kellan picked Robin as his bed partner."