Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

Wilson

I was running late again. I was literally running late. People in the mall stared at me as if they were wondering what caused me to have lost my damn mind. I was surprised security hadn't started chasing me around the mall. I had a lunch date with Nick and if I was later than last time I knew when I got to the food court he wouldn't be there. Ironically, Nick wasn't the most patient person in the world and yet he was.

I ran up the elevator, taking two at a time. I felt murderous when some pompous looking asshole thought it was a good idea to grab his girl and kiss her. Just by watching them I knew he wasn't good at it. You're supposed to make her knees weak, not make it look like she's a dog with your slob all over her mouth.

I made a noise loud enough for them to hear, though I wasn't sure they would over all the disgusting and sloppy sounds they made. They did hear me. They pulled away from each other and looked at me as if I were something they would step on. Sometimes I was and I knew that. I can be quite the asshole. But not today. I ignored them, passed between them and jogged the few remaining steps.

It was late afternoon on a Wednesday. The mall was virtually empty. That made it easy for me to spot Nick. He sat alone close to the glass barriers where he could see almost everything on that side of the mall. There was something about watching people live their lives and wondering about them that soothed him.

I grabbed him by his head and placed a sloppy kiss on his temple. Nick didn't even flinch. No doubt I was the only person he expected that sort of behavior from. I leaned forward, entering his line of sight, grinning. He looked unimpressed. Just as my ass hit the chair Nick's phone vibrated where it was on the table. A minute later and Nick would have been gone.

"This big idiot decided to make out with his girlfriend on the escalator. People have places to go and people to see. I don't have time for that shit."

"What did you say to them?" Nick asked me.

"Nothing," I answered. "What are you having?"

I already knew the answer to that. It was a poor attempt to change the subject.

"Smoothie," Nick answered. I was up out of my seat and ready to get Nick pizza, only he didn't say pizza. He said smoothie. For the past two years whenever we were at this mall we always had pizza, specifically because Nick wanted pizza.

Pausing, I took a seat again. "I'll get you a smoothie, but first you have to tell me what's up."

He threw his head back, a defeated look marring his otherwise peaceful face. "Smoothie first, please?"

And how could I deny him anything? Definitely not when he sounded as sad as he did. I gave him a pointed look and a small smile for comfort. I went to Red Mango, got two Tropical Mango smoothies. On my way back to our table I got us two slices of pizza just incase Nick changed his mind.

Minutes later, we sat with half empty cups of smoothies and untouched pizza. I wanted to dive right back into the conversation but Nick seemed really troubled and I didn't want to push him. If I pushed him then I had no way of knowing what was up with him or if I could even fix it, or help.

"Do you know what I did with my first paycheck?" He asked, rhetorically. I saw from a mile away that the conversation was heading somewhere. I looked at his face since he kept is eyes downcast. "I paid off my parent's mortgage. Given that I didn't have a...a...you know-what I'm trying to say is, they gave me more than I could ever ask for and that was more than I thought I would ever have. I was tired of seeing them struggle and I wanted them to rest for once in their life. I always did well in school. I never asked them for anything and the one time I'm trying to do something for me they don't approve of it. They're driving me crazy. I think I'm going to move out."