Chapter 1 , "Soul searching"

It was snowing hard. The play was over and he had been magnificent as usual. He had come back to his duty, his obligations, after seeing her crying while looking at him act in that sordid third class theatre. He was seeing her everywhere, that time was the one time it marked him, it touched him so much that he decided to go back and fulfill his duty. She had that kind of power on him, she was part of him. He was sorry he had made her cry like that, she looked so hurt and so sad...That was not his purpose in life, to make her cry. She cried when he forced her to ride that horse with him after kissing her to make forget about her dead boyfriend she couldn't stop thinking and talking about, while she was in his arms, she cried when he left college leaving her behind, she cried when he had to break up with her because an obsessed colleague saved his life and lost her leg...and, even if he imagined it, she cried when she saw him so drunk and acting so bad in that awful theatre. He decided to sober up, because even his visions were disappointed in him! He wanted the next time she sees her, or her vision, he wanted her to be proud of him. So he went back, to his responsibilities. Hathaway took him back, because of his talent and Susanna.... well she was happy to have him back, even if it was the same cold attitude, it was the man she love.

Terrence Grandchester entered a nice French restaurant. He had a table for one and he ordered some Scotch. He drank it and then he ordered another one.

A lady in her thirties was looking at him from her table where she was sitting alone too.

- If you want to get drunk, you're really in the right place, she said.

Terrence looked at her, and for a second, he thought he saw "Her" green eyes and some freckles.

- Bloody hell!!! I'm having visions again!!!!

- I can assure you I'm really here, said the lady...

She stood up. She could feel his pain.

- Aren't you the "King of Broadway"?

- Do you see any crown on my head?

- You've got the sense of humour, I like that!

He looked at her and something made him stop his sarcasm.

- I'm sorry, I'm in a crappy mood...he finally said.

- Can I sit with you?

- Sure...

He stood up to pull the chair for her.

- So what's a handsome and talented young man like you, doing here alone drowning his sorrow in alcohol? Shouldn't you be on the top of the world?

- Well, the top of the world is not what it's cracked up to be...

- Really? Tell me more... Let me introduce myself first, my name is Lynda de Rothschild...