Chapter 2

I sighed, while listening to my boss, Michael talk about all the good work we've done for the past year. This was the big meeting I was preparing for with my boss and all of the other investigators on the team, and do I tell you it's boring. I wouldn't have minded if Danielle didn't wake me up so early to get to her apartment to tell me she's pregnant. I'm happy for her, I'm just really grumpy that she woke me up at 6:30 in the morning.

My partner, Nathan is having a hard time keeping his eyes open and I can tell by the bags under his eyes that he didn't get too much sleep last night. Trouble with his girlfriend perhaps? I don't know too much about him except him and his girlfriend haven't been together that long and they're already fighting. This is why I take no interest in girls at all. Just last week he had to keep telling his girlfriend that he was at work and he couldn't talk right now and of course, she assumed that he was cheating. There aren't really that many women on the team so she went wrong there, unless he's into women in their 50's.

When the meeting was over, I sighed happily knowing that this day could only end quick enough, so I can be in my nice big warm bed again and have Max laying right next to me.
"Hey Dante, do you have a sec?" Nathan asked, standing up and walking towards me. Everyone had already left the room and went back to their previous work. "Yeah. What's up? Are you having some trouble with the GF?" I asked sitting down in a chair. He nodded and sat down in the chair next to me, spinning around a little until he stops. "What do you think I should do?" He asks with a desperate look on his face. "I don't know man. I've only been in a couple of relationships but how many times has she said you were cheating?" I asked trying to help. I wasn't good in relationships back then, I doubt I'll be good with them now.

"She's been saying it every time I'm at work. It's hard enough with trying to get a promotion and having a secret that I've been dealing with for the past three months." He said sighing. I see his distress and it's not good. "I would say break it off but be discreet about it. You don't want her saying bad stuff about you." I told him and gave him an encouraging smile. He nodded but it still looked like he wanted to say something else. "Is that all that's bothering you?" I asked slowly. You never know if he could break or lash out. "There's been something else that has too. You know how I was away last week for my sisters wedding?" I nodded and turned to him fully. "My sister didn't want my girlfriend to go, so I went alone and basically-" he paused for a second looking down at his shoes like they were interesting. "There was a guy there, and he was like a friend of my sister and we started talking. And then we kind of started kissing..." He said looking fully down, like he was ashamed of what he just told me.

I understand that he's having a hard time right now and it must be really hard on him, and his girlfriend isn't really helping with the saying he's cheating either. "It's ok. There's nothing to be ashamed of." I told him and stood up. "All I can say right now is, I know how hard that is for you to say, but you have to accept that you might be gay or bisexual before you tell your family." I said. He stood up and I gave him a hug. "Thank you for listening. I really appreciate it." He said while still hugging me.

"If you need a friend or anyone to talk to, you just let me know ok. You'll need support from all your friends." I said while patting his back and breaking the hug. He smiled at me and thank me and we both walked out of the office to do some work. When I sat down at my desk, I noticed a number that wasn't in my contacts. I saw that it was Anne and I added her into my contacts. I texted Anne, telling her directions to wear the a bus stop was near her hotel so she doesn't get lost going to her friend's apartment but to call her when she gets on the subway. I wanted to call Danielle, but decided against it because she might be with Chase right now. So I continued to sit at my desk and do nothing until I have something to do.

I said goodbye to Justin, another investigator and walked outside. I noticed Nathan talking on the phone, and it looks like he's having an argument with someone. I smiled and waved and he waved back and pointed to the phone and rolled his eyes. His girlfriend. It's such a shame, I think he's pretty good looking. But you didn't hear that from me. I got in my car and drove out of the parking lot. I wanted to go home, but I decided to drive around town a little. Nathan and I gave each other our numbers when we first started working together, so he'll text me if he needs anything. I was driving by Madison Square Garden and I saw Anne and a guy, but they were walking around and it looked like they were discussing something so I didn't beep my horn. I wonder what they were talking about, but maybe they're just friends.

I sat down on the couch with a huff and turned on the tv. I had an eventful morning, not so eventful afternoon during work except for the news with Nathan, and seeing Anne walking around with a guy at Madison Square Garden. I shake my head clearing that and focus on the current baseball game on tv. A couple minutes later, Nathan calls my phone and it's a surprise he's calling me. I would've pegged him as a texter.
"Hey Nathan what's up?"
"Do you think I can stay the night at your house? I know this is last minute and I haven't been to your house, but I really need a place to stay for the night." he said. "Yeah it's ok. My house is 267 Marvel street." I said and turned my porch light on. "Thank you so much. I owe you." He said and I heard his car starting. I told him no problem and hung up the phone so he doesn't get pulled over. I wonder if this has anything to do with his girlfriend. My relaxing weekend might just be postponed to next weekend.
* * * * * * *
I hope you guys enjoyed this part. I tend to have a habit of leaving making cliffhangers, but I won't be too mean and won't give you a cliffhanger next chapter! 😊 As always make sure to vote if you like the story and if there are any mistakes let me know nicely. Until next time, happy reading😊😘