Coffee Dates

Phil

Dan and I have been getting out of the house a lot recently thanks to Pokemon GO, and we stumbled upon the cutest coffee shop with amazing latte art while trying to catch a Jigglypuff a few weeks ago. We've been finding ourselves going to the coffee shop any time we're out together since it's relatively close to home, and if one of us goes to it without the other, we bring each other back a drink or a snack. It's a cute little thing we've started doing and I love it.

The coffee shop gives off a very homey, comfortable vibe, with fairy lights and interesting decor throughout. The smell of freshly brewed coffee is also a plus, but my favorite thing by far is the lady who owns it. Her name is Lucy and she's about 90 years old and reminds me of a cute grandmother that leaves lipstick marks on her grandchildren when she kisses their cheeks. Since Dan and I have visited so many times, she's begun to remember us and our orders, which warms my heart. If we could bake, I would want to bring her a plate of cookies made with love.

Today, Dan and I had to go downtown to buy presents for a friend's upcoming birthday, and on our way to the tube, we stopped by the little coffee shop. Hand in hand, we walked through the door, greeted by the chime of a bell and the smell of coffee. We went up to order and found Lucy at the register like usual.

"Hello boys, you guys look cute today. Would you like the usual?" she asked sweetly, offering a smile.

"Yes please, thank you," Dan replied, blushing slightly due to her compliment. I paid for the drinks and made small talk while she reached for the muffins we ordered. She told us about how her and her husband were planning their 70th anniversary in a few weeks and she couldn't believe they've made it so long.

"I hope we make it 70 years," I whispered to Dan.

"Shut up, of course we'll make it 70 years," he replied, entertwining his fingers with mine.

Lucy smiled at us as she handed over the muffins, "You guys are just adorable. Have a good rest of your day."

"Thank you, you too," I replied while Dan accepted the muffins from her. We took our muffins to our favorite spot in the corner by the window and sat down in the large chairs while we waited for our lattes. "She's such a cute little old lady. I want her to be my grandmother."

"How would your actual grandmother feel if she knew she was being traded for Lucy?"

"Let's not tell her then, how about that."

"You're such a dork why do I love you," Dan replied, shaking his head slightly while trying to hide the dimply smile forming.

"You love me for lots of reasons. Like when I eat all of the baking decorations before we get to the decorating part, or how I'll buy the condoms at the store, but deep down, I think you love me the most because of all my house plants. It's as if we don't even have to go outside-the outdoors are already in the house!"

"Actually, I've changed my mind, I don't love you, I hate you. I've got the divorce papers already written up and signed."

"Well then it's a good thing you dropped law school, otherwise that would be a real threat!"

"Did you really just sass me like that?" he feigned offense, clutching a hand over his chest.

"Yes I did in fact sass you. It's fun. It's why we're getting a divorce."

"Fine, but after the divorce, I wanna marry you again because I fucking love you and I would hate not being married to you."

"Deal. Or we could just stay married in the first place."

"That works too. But I still hate you."

"You love me."

"Yeah, I really do."

After a while, our lattes came, and we sat and chatted over coffee and muffins. I love watching Dan talk. I find myself just sitting and staring at him, watching the way his mouth moves as his lips form the words he's articulately saying. I don't even care what we're talking about really, but the sound of his voice puts me at ease. Coming down to the coffee shop together is a nice time where we get to sit and talk. Sure, we can do that at home, but here, we can do it with the smell of coffee and pastries and in really big chairs. I find this coffee time refreshing, plus it's always nice to get out of the house for a change of scenery. Once we finished, we tidied up our spot up before I grabbed his hand and pulled him closer to me, giving him a quick kiss.

"I love you."

"I love you too."