Our Everlasting Melody (34)

I had no reaction, at first. I was in too much of a shock to even move. I just stood there for what felt like hours, though it was probably only four seconds.

The next thing I did was scream. I screamed so loud and for so long that my throat nearly went numb. I honestly didn't even know how long I screamed for, but I guess that wasn't what was important.

The third thing I did was fall to my knees and crawl toward the bathtub. The shower was on, but there was no one in it. That wasn't what I was looking at right then. What I was looking at was what was on the floor.

I was crying; I was practically sobbing. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. This didn't seem real. How could there be a body on the floor in front of me?

Mona wasn't moving. She didn't even look like she was breathing. Blood ran from her temple and onto her face. Next to her, there was an empty bottle of prescription sleeping pills. And when I looked over at the tub, I could see where she had hit her head on the brim.

I couldn't think straight. I turned off the shower, hoping that that would somehow help, but it didn't. It made everything worse, because now I was in complete and utter silence, on a tiled bathroom floor next to an unconscious girl.

I checked her pulse, but felt nothing. There wasn't anything else I could have done, so I knew that I had to call the police. She needed medical attention immediately.

I shakily pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed nine-one-one. It was the first time I had ever called it in my entire life, and I had always hoped that I'd never have to. But now, that hope was shattered.

"911, what is your emergency?" the dispatcher asked as she answered, and for a second, I lost the ability to speak. I just let out a squeak and the dispatcher didn't even hear me. "Hello?"

"Please, help," I finally begged, unable to look at Mona as I curled up into a ball beside her. "My friend... she's unconscious on the floor in her bathroom. Please, she needs help!"

I knew Mona and I weren't exactly friends, but at that moment, it wasn't important. The important thing was getting her help before it was too late. I just hoped it wasn't too late...

The dispatcher then asked for the address of the house, and I pulled the phone away from my ear so I could check the text message with her address on it. After finding it, I relayed it to the dispatcher and she told me that help was on the way.

I hadn't locked the door when I came inside, so I wouldn't have to let any officers in. That was good, because I didn't want to leave Mona's side.

"It's going to be okay, alright?" I cried, clutching onto her hand tightly. "They're going to be here any second and then they're going to help you. You're going to be okay, Mona, alright? You're going to be okay."

The last time I had spoken to her, we had had a fight. I purposely angered her because I thought it was fun. I now immediately regretted ever doing that.

How could this even be happening? How could she be here, but then not? I used to think that I wouldn't have even cared if she just disappeared, but being here with her when she could have really disappeared at any moment, I couldn't believe I had ever thought that way.

I was suddenly pulled away by a cop, but I was too stunned to really stop him from pulling me out of the bathroom and into the hallway. But I could still see through the open door as the paramedics worked on the still, unconscious Mona.

I couldn't stop staring at the dried blood on her forehead. Not only did she have to overdose, but she had to hit her head on the bathtub as well. This whole thing was horrible; there was no way this could have gotten any worse.