Our Everlasting Melody (30)

Now that the show was over with, drama was pretty much a free period, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Since it was the last period of the day, it was pretty much like I got out of school early, though I still had to stay in the auditorium.

Christian really meant it when he said he wanted to stay friends. He still talked to me and smiled at me as if no break up had ever gone on between. He didn't even act like we had ever dated, and I was really thankful for that.

But I couldn't help but wonder how he really felt. I knew that it didn't feel good to be broken up with, even if you did remain friends with your ex.

Mona made sure to stay away from me during our free drama periods, but this resulted in her being all alone in the back of the auditorium. I didn't really care about her very much; it was her choice. She could have continued to sit with us to be by my friends, if she really wanted to. I barely even acknowledged her presence anymore.

And then there was Blake. I had been texting him every day and talking to him on the phone each night, not telling anyone about this. I was getting to know him again, and it was very refreshing. I was glad that we didn't rush into getting back together. We should probably wait until after prom, after he didn't owe Mona anything anymore.

Cassie, Christian, and I sat right up in front of the auditorium while Mona sat right in the back. One day, while Christian was up asking Mr. Summers a question, Cassie turned toward me almost urgently.

"I have a huge favor to ask of you," she smiled widely at me, freaking me out just a little.

I only blinked at her. "Okay..."

"So, you know how Sean and I broke up?" she started, not getting straight to the point like I wished she would. "And you know how you and Christian broke up?"

"I'm aware," I responded flatly.

Cassie only nodded. "Well, you see, I was kind of, sort of wondering that... you know, since prom is only two weeks away and I don't have a date, and you're no longer dating Christian..."

I realized what she was trying to ask me before she even said it. "You want to take Christian to the prom?"

"Only if you're okay with it," she made sure to point out. "If you're not okay with it, I'll stay away and not even think about it. But he's the only other single guy I know well."

I thought about this for a moment. Christian was my ex-boyfriend and Cassie was my best friend. She thought Christian had broken up with me while I really broke up with him. It might have been a little awkward for me for her to go to the prom with him, but I knew how important it was for her to not go to the prom alone.

"It's fine, Cassie," I assured, since I honestly didn't care very much at all. "But it's up to Christian. You still have to ask him."

Cassie looked absolutely ecstatic. Obviously she hadn't been expecting that I would actually allow her to take Christian to the prom. I was sure she had been ready to beg me on her hands and knees if she needed to.

When Christian made his way back over to us, Cassie grew excited. I just stared at her. Was she seriously going to ask him now?

"I'm going to go over and sit with Mona today," Christian informed us once he got back over to us. "She seems really lonely and I feel kind of bad for her."

And there Christian went, being the amazingly nice guy he always was. Both of my friends could see that I could have cared less about Mona, but they said nothing about this.

"Hey, Christian," Cassie called out before he could get away from us. "Could I ask you something?"

Christian stopped, surprised. "Of course, Cassie."