Chapter Six

Chapter Six 

"Wow," Lexi Ainsworth glared over at the dork from her high school and the girl her brother had been infatuated with as she appeared in her suite at the Fallsview Double Tree in Niagara Falls, Ontario, where her maid of honour and best friend, Amanda, was helping her lace the back of her mermaid, corseted, filled-with-bling wedding dress up. "I was expecting a professional journalist, not some intern." 

"Congratulations," Rosalind spoke professionally, ignoring her high school's most popular girl's snobby voice, admiring her curly brunette up-do down with pin curls, and a birdcage netted veil to match. She had drop-drown two-karat diamond earrings and her dress was exquisite. She certainly looked like a princess, but she wouldn't dare tell Lexi that to her face. "You look stunning." 

"Of course she does," Amanda rolled her eyes at Rosalind. "Lexi, you make the most beautiful bride. Philip is going to just die when he sees you walk down the aisle." 

"So, why are you here?" Lexi ignored Amanda's obsessive comments and turned toward the girl who had left her brother a mess five years ago. "Interns don't cover society page weddings." 

"I'm not an intern," Rosalind spoke firmly, taking out her business card. "I'm a reporter for the Toronto Star. I'm covering your wedding today for the society pages." 

"Well, that's fine," Lexi shrugged, as she turned back to the mirror, admiring her figure in her dress. "Just a word of warning, stay the hell away from my brother." Rosalind blushed, and Amanda giggled. She felt herself starting to panic, but she calmed herself down with a few breathing exercises. If she could get through Lexi's wedding day, being professional and getting her job done, everything would be fine. Lexi took her bouquet of red roses, studded with a diamond encrust at the centre of each one, and stepped off the stool she had been standing on. Amanda let out her train as it trailed out at least three feet in beautiful lace and tulle. Lexi was gorgeous, and she knew it. Rosalind wished she looked like Lexi. To be as beautiful, as thin, as well-liked as someone like Lexi Ainsworth would be an ultimate dream come true. 

"Let's go," her wedding planner she observed appeared and ushered the bridal party out. Rosalind was a bit surprised to find her only bridal attendant was Amanda. Lexi had been so popular in high school and had tons of friends. She knew the groom would already be in the ballroom, so she allowed the wedding party to get some distance in front of her, and she slipped in the side door of the venue, taking a seat at the back of the ballroom. 

As far as weddings she had researched, Lexi's parents had left nothing untouched for their only daughter's big day. The wedding ceremony space was small, accommodating around eighty-five people she would assume. This surprised Rosalind as well, as she started making notes on the decor, the flowers and the ambiance of the wedding. She loved the fact that a string quartet played the wedding march, joined by a harpist. It sounded absolutely beautiful. The aisle was decorated with a real material aisle runner with their initials engraved at the back, with assorted red rose petals spread in different places, and beautiful white candles, in every size glass jar, lined the pews. Her chair covers were black, and they were accented perfectly with the charcoal gray dress that Amanda wore.  

Her eyes teared up as the groom caught sight of his bride for the first time. He looked humbled, astonished and mesmerized at the beautiful woman who was about to become his soul mate for life. The ceremony was simple, non-religious, which was surprising to Rosalind, considering that Lexi and she had attended a Catholic high school, and she loved how they poured different colours of sand into one glass mason jar to unify their love. Lexi's wedding was stunning, and she couldn't wait to dive in to write about how beautiful, intricate and intimate it was. However, she had to get through cocktails and the reception first. Oh, and seeing Mr. Dimples himself, Lincoln, her sexy professor from Baylor, who had a massive crush on her, and she had one on him too.