2 - WAKE UP CALL

There was a ringing in my head, subtle but still annoying. My stomach rolled around, a queasiness filling my abdomen. My eyelids were heavy and it took everything within me to pry my eyes open. A soft light flooded the room and I automatically twisted away from the windows, curling up into a ball. It took me a little longer to realise the soft sheets around me were not my own. I jolted upwards, the sheets falling from my shoulders, my eyes wide. Beside me rested a dark haired boy, shirtless and still. I couldn't see his face, just the firm lines of lean muscle on his back. His face was turned away from me but flashes of last night went through my hazy head. The party, the spinning in circles, the bottle of vodka resting in my lap, a boy sitting alone on the footpath, a nameless boy who took me somewhere to fly. 

I waited for a moment, just watching his body rise and fall with each steady intake of breath. In his white sheets he looked soft, too delicate for the boy who had looked at me with such strange sadness last night. I glanced down at myself, seeing my ratty dress still in place, dirt inked some places but it looked clean enough. I leaned over the edge of the bed, spotting a bucket near the bed and couldn't help but shake my head at the very sight. Suddenly there was a banging that flooded the airy loft. I cringed slightly, the sudden noise blaring through my brain. 

"Do you mind getting that?" The voice was muffled and my eyes dragged down to stare at the half naked body beside me.

I gulped, feeling a dryness in my throat. "Excuse me?"

The boy lifted his head, his eyes still closed. "The door. Do you mind getting it?"

I paused for a second, my head still a little cloudy from last night. When his head flopped back down to the soft pillow, I scooted off the bed. My feet touched the cold floorboards and I shivered. I padded around the clean loft, passing the large open windows and the white kitchen. Everything was ordered, nothing out of place. It seemed a little odd for a boy to even be living here. My own dorm room was cluttered with odd clothing, crappy magazines and books I hadn't picked up since last year. I crept towards the door, the banging still continuing. "Ugh, shut up." I moaned, yanking the door open and staring across at a dark skinned boy, a little confused. 

"Who are you?" He questioned quickly, his eyes moving pass me and into the brightly lit loft. I shifted on my feet, eyeing the two coffees sitting in the carry tray.

I pointed down at them. "Can I have one?"

He offered it over to me without question, his eyebrows rising. "Are you looking for the boy that lives here?" I asked, bringing the coffee to my lips, the warm milk and flavouring meeting my tongue. "I don't know his name actually..." 

Suddenly there was movement behind me and someone hovered over my shoulder, warm skin brushing my bare arms. "Tony, my name is Tony."

"Right." I nodded, stepping aside and letting the boy who still waited in the hallway through the door. He gave Tony a mocking grin, placing down the carry tray and the paper bag on the table. 

The boy offered me his hand formally and I took it with a little smile. "I'm Rhodey."

My hands curled back around my takeaway coffee cup and I nested back against the countertop, feeling a little out of place. "I'm Tilda, or just Tilly."

Tony now had his own coffee in hand, gesturing over at me with a grin. "Tilly, I really like that."

Rhoedy stared between us. "So, how long have you known each other? Usually, your girls sneak out before dawn. I would have brought extra coffee if I knew I would be the wake up call."

My tongue slipped out, licking up some foamed milk from my lips, my eyes quickly turning to glance over at Tony. "Girls, huh? As in plural?"

The boys exchanged a quick look. "You're not his type, honestly." Rhoedy added in for good measure, shrugging his shoulders, oblivious to the backhanded compliment. 

"His type?" I questioned and put down the coffee quickly, making my way across the open spaced room. I bent down, retrieving my shoes and slipping into them. "I didn't realise your game for getting girls back to your place was to take them to a children's playground. That's different."

Rhoedy was grinning from ear to ear. "Children's playground? I have to hear this story."

I tugged up my dress shelves, brushing some hair from my eyes. "I didn't sleep with him, if that's what you're wondering. Because I'm not interested in boys like Tony..." I let my sentence drop off, not even knowing his last name.

"Stark, Tony Stark." 

I tilted my head to the side, giving him a little frown. "Stark, huh? That name rings a bell." 

 Tony was grinning, rather intrigued by everything. "Does it now?" 

"I think my mum dated a Stark once." I told him, heading back to the boys and picking up the coffee, the warmth radiating through my fingertips.  

 Tony sipped at his own coffee, "Really?"

 I nodded firmly, feeling a little awkward still. I had never woken up in a strange boy's bed before and not knowing how I had ended up there. The last thing I remembered was seeing the stars. Even though I had spent the night with him and I didn't technically know him, I still knew that last name anywhere. "Yeah. Handsome, cocky, a tiny bit clever and beyond narcissistic."

"Sounds like the clan." Tony replied, nodding. He lifted his eyes up to meet my own. They were dark and filled with something I couldn't quite catch. I was usually good at reading people but with this boy, everything was cloudy. 

I turned away from him, smiling over at the boy named Rhoedy. "It was nice to meet you, but I think I've over stayed my welcome."

Tony stepped forward, "Wait, you don't have to go--"

"I do, actually." I quickly nodded, my teeth sinking into my lower lip. "Thank you for last night and making sure I wasn't left in a playground but--"

Rhoedy smirked. "You're not interested?"

I nodded again. "Right, yeah. That's exactly it." 

I was already backing away, nearly at the closed door. Tony followed me, his hand gripping the door handle and opening the door for me. I paused in the doorway, chugging down my coffee. "I'll see you in class, Tilly."

"Class?" I frowned once again. "You're in my classes?"

Tony faked a saddened expression. "Yes, actually. I'm not surprised you didn't notice me."

That caught my attention. I peered up at him, my lips parting slightly. "Why would you say that?"

"Because you've never noticed anything, that's why." He slowly replied, his lips turning up in a quirky grin. I felt my stomach roll around, his words hitting a little harder than expected. I stumbled backwards awkwardly, my hand gripping the doorframe to keep me on my feet. 

I ran my free hand through my hair, "Right. Well, thank you for letting me fly last night."

Tony's grin grew, "You're very welcome."

I twisted on my heel, throwing a quick glance over my shoulder at him as I went around the corner. I found him watching me, something I couldn't place again resting in his eyes.