I resist the urge to slap the palm of my hand against my forehead.

"You planned to use flattery to solve your problems."

Danielle sniffs. "Brice calls it butt-kissery."

I snort and stand up, grabbing Danielle's hand and tugging her out of the air as I go. "Perhaps we should go have a bit of a word with Brice. You're only-" I tap my chin. "What, eight?"

"Nine, tomorrow!" she screeches.

"Yes, I haven't forgotten, don't fret," I laugh, ruffling her shoulder-length hair as I lead her outside toward the above-ground half of Our City. "Quick question, dear: Have you seen Payten?"

"Mhmm! I think they're drooling over the new videogame store Louis' dad put up. Hey, can you take me by there after today's lesson? Mommy says video games will rot my brain," she rambles, pouting up at me.

I gasp, putting my hand over my heart. "Such blasphemy!"

"I know, right!? And Jenny's too busy looking at-" she scoffs, "boys to help me win Mom over."

"Your sister's finally getting boy-crazy?" I ask, laughing a little. "I was starting to think she never would."

Danielle pouts again. "Seto, they're not even real boys? She just kind of sighs at a book all day and then mourns on that tumbling site!"

I bite my lip, trying to hide how much I completely understand Jenny's predicament. "Well, I suppose that's just a teenager thing, dear. Perhaps you'll understand when you become a teenager."

"No! Boys are gross, especially fake boys. Except for Louis, but he's not fake, and plus he's really gay and plus plus I really just want to be his best friend forever."

"Sounds like a plan," I say, smiling slightly, and then I guide Danielle into the magic school located in the middle of the mostly-cleared-out forest. Hopefully, Brice will be here.

He's not, and I sigh when I realize. But Payten is here, at least, and they grin and walk over to me, still sporting the same sort of all-black style they were sporting when they first asked to be one of my students that day in front of my house. "Yo, Seto!"

"Hello, Payten. How are you?"

"I'm okay." They bend down and grin widely at Danielle, who giggles in anticipation of being tickled. "Aw, calm down, I won't getcha today. Where's your sister?"

"Crying over some anime."

"Dang. Got any news concerning you-know-what?"

"Sorry, Pay, she's still more interested in Sebastian from Black Butler than in you."

Payten blushes tremendously. "Oh my Notch. You're so lucky no one was in here to hear that."

"I heard it," I point out, grinning devilishly, and Payten sends me a fairly terrifying glare.

"Don't you dare, Seto," they growl at me.

I laugh and put my hands up in a defensive position. "Calm down, now, I won't say a word. But, Danielle, weren't you just talking about how you didn't want your sister dating anyone?" I ask.

Danielle groans. "It's okay if she dates Payten, 'cause Payten is nice and they make Jenny really happy!" She huffs and furrows her eyebrows. "But Kirito and Sebastian and all the other made-up boys just make Jenny cry a lot."

"That's sweet," I comment, ruffling her hair again, and she huffs one more time before I lift my head up to face Payten again. "I give you my best wishes, dear. You'll get her someday."