CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - SUIT VERSUS BOT

Front-line, Nature's Night, 20th of June, 2771

As the last remnants of LOGIS broke through the foliage to scrutinize the source of the cheerful voice, it quickly became clear to Toni how lucky they had been.

Interspaced five meters from one another, the combat drones rested in semi-prepared positions along a front that stretched out beyond sight. Humanoid in general appearance, especially the light-weight ones armed with modified Lacraus, they nevertheless lay unnaturally still in their incomplete foxholes. Further back he could spy the heavier firepower, an anti-armor team to his left and a less deftly concealed machinegun position above and to his right, all manned by heavy combat drones. The heavy bots were of more robust constitution, although their greater carrying strength was counterbalanced by slightly reduced autonomy. Toni had read the right magazines to know that much about the killing components of the Robotic Warfare Corps, but the SIC's formal training regimen hadn't yet progressed to the point of discussing the finer points of their sister military unit.

It was also clear that the line was positioned in a zigzag pattern along the terrain, their group having crossed the frontline at the nook where a zig began to zag.

"If you close your mouths and advance twenty paces, I'd really appreciate it, guys," the cheerful voice piped. Toni peered up into the trees, aware that the low static sound emanating from the bots nearby had intensified the moment the voice had spoken.

The group set off again and ascended the rise from where the voice had come from, coming upon a local droid commander surrounded by its protective detail. It turned its inhuman oculars towards them and spoke.

"Greetings, pilgrims. You're still a good distance from where I am so, if you turn left and scoot south-west about fifty meters, you'll come upon another section leader and his command section. Good luck," the bot spoke cheerily as the surrounding bots hissed aloud.

It then returned its attention to the lines as if the ghost possessing it had suddenly abandoned its frame.

"Thank you ..." Toni declared uncertainly, unnerved by the fact that the bots had also hissed at his words, as if outraged that he would dare say such a thing.

Fifty paces ahead they came upon another section commander which, at their arrival, turned towards them and cheerily pointed them once more to the north-west. The group thanked the bot and trundled wearily onwards for another two hundred meters, before arriving at a small depression guarded by more heavy bots armed with light machineguns and antitank weapons. In the depression's center, the only human members of the robotic infantry company sat. Heavily camouflaged and armed with an assortment of portable electronic equipment, two men about ten years their senior peered away from their instruments and towards the newcomers.

"You lot look like you've been through hell," the more heavy-set of the two remarked cheerfully as he approached and shook their hands, waving off their salutes as unnecessary.

"Good day ..." said the younger of them, a reed-thin lieutenant with a grim face who raised his hand up at them before returning to his duties.

Once the cadets had introduced themselves and presented their credentials, the captain turned towards the only one among them whose hands were bound.

"Is this your prisoner?" Captain Venter asked, taking Ian carefully by the arm for a closer look.

"Sir, I have been wrongfully arrested. My junior has a beef with –"

"Shut it, Ian," Toni interrupted. "Sergeant-cadet Templeton may be the most senior of our platoon, but that still doesn't give him the right to aid in the escape of an enemy prisoner. That prisoner then slit another cadet's throat before setting fire –"