Chapter 25 - An Ally?

"W-wh-what?" sputtered Samantha as her face went deathly white. "Why would you suggest that?"

Joy and Dawn snickered at Samantha's reaction. Of the four girls, Samantha was the only safe bet to not have sex with a couple of hot guys or really any guy for that matter. Dawn had already lost her virginity. Lisa and Joy were just waiting for the opportunity. So far none of the leftover guys had wanted to take things that far.

Shrugging her shoulders and holding up her hands, Lisa tried to act as if her question wasn't meant to provoke anything. "Relax Samantha. I was only joking. It's not the way you operate anyways. You're more of a flirt and string them along type of girl anyways," she sneered.

Samantha shook her head and rolled her eyes. She picked up her phone from the table and put it back in her lap in case her boys texted her. She didn't bother responding to Lisa's sneer. A comment like that tended to be directed almost anytime they started talking about Samantha and any male. The girls always complained that Samantha was flirting when she was only being nice. No matter how many times she explained it, they wouldn't believe her. So now she would just let the accusation roll off her back. "Since it has already been said once tonight, maybe now we can just enjoy ourselves," she hoped to herself.

Their meals were delivered to the table by a waiter who appeared to be just a few years older than them. Dawn immediately tried to hide her orange bracelet as she tried to flirt her way into an alcoholic drink. The waiter just smiled and suggested that he would could bring the virgin version. He softened his delivery of the virgin cocktail with a wink and smile to Dawn, putting her in a happier mood.

The girls had just had their plates cleared away and new drinks delivered when the band took to the stage. Samantha was surprised to see how young they looked. They looked like they were only in their early twenties yet they had packed out the venue.

By the end of the first song, Samantha could understand why it was sold out. The band was phenomenal. The dance floor was packed. Everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Samantha, skin flushed with a slight sheen to it, motioned to her friends letting them know that she was heading back to their table for a drink. They nodded their acknowledgement and continued on dancing.

She sat back down at their table with a sigh. She was relieved to be sitting down for a few moments. She stretched out her calves, thankful that she had worn cowboy boots instead of heels. They had been dancing almost non-stop for the past two hours. When the band took a break, a DJ had taken over the music playing some of their favourite songs. The only breaks that Samantha had taken was for the few slow songs that they had played.

A few guys had approached Samantha to ask her to dance during the first slow song. When she politely turned him down, Dawn, Joy, and Lisa had all started to make fun of her. She didn't want to confirm to them that she was dating both boys as that would have resulted in ridicule as well. She really was stuck between a rock and a hard place. After that first slow dance, Samantha used the slow dances as excuses to go to the bathroom or to grab a drink.

Samantha's drink had just been delivered when the girls returned to the table. They had decided to grab drinks for themselves since the band was currently grabbing some drinks. It was a warm evening outside, and with all the people inside, the air conditioners were struggling to keep up.

The lead singer returned to his microphone and asked for everyone's attention. Samantha noticed that Dawn looked like a cat that had swallowed a canary. She wondered what had caused that look, but with Dawn, you couldn't really guess except that it usually included a guy.

"Before we finish up with our last few songs, we wanted to thank everyone for coming out tonight and for sharing it with us. There has been a lot of speculation lately about our future as a band and what our next steps were. Well, tonight, we are happy to announce that we just signed a contract with a large recording company based in Nashville," he announced amongst the whoops and hollers from the crowd.