Chapter 2 - Confessions

The four of them started across the corral heading towards the stable doors. Josh and Jake sandwiched Samantha between the two of them leaving Lisa to walk beside Jake's right side. Lisa was really starting to feel like a fifth wheel and it was something that she didn't like. Initially when she saw Jake arriving she had hope that she would have a hot cowboy on her side like Samantha was experiencing with Josh. Now Samantha had both of them panting over her. Life really wasn't fair! She hadn't even wanted to come to the stupid rodeo, but had no choice for today since she hadn't been invited to the party that the Dawn and Joy had been invited to. Her mother also really liked one of the bands that were planning that night and she wouldn't let Lisa back out of the trip. She had figure out a way to not be the fifth wheel anymore.

Samantha looked over her shoulder and saw that Lisa's mother was now standing with her mom and John. She called over her shoulder to their mothers, "I'll text you when we are done so that we can meet up to watch the rodeo."

Both mothers nodded their heads in acknowledgement as they continued on talking to John.

Josh and Jake opened up the stable doors and ushered the two girls inside. Samantha was immediately overwhelmed by the smell of the horses, hay, and leather. It tickled her nose nearly making her sneeze. The last thing that she wanted to do was to start sneezing and possibly cutting this time together short. She was surprised that the smells were so strong since the stable seemed light and airy inside. After taking a few deep breathes through her mouth, Samantha was relieved to discover that she no longer felt like sneezing.

"Chuck and Mike," Josh called out to two boys standing further in the stables. "Do you think that one of you could show Lisa," —as he pointed to Lisa— "some of the horses?"

Chuck and Mike walked closer to the group. They appeared to be around the same age as Lisa and Samantha. After looking Lisa up and down, they agreed to show her around the stables. They led her off to the right side of the stables while Lisa looked over her shoulder to Samantha and smirked. She felt quite pleased with herself now that she, too, had two guys showing her around. She knew that she was better than Samantha after all Chuck and Mike had checked her out, not Samantha.

Josh and Jake led Samantha off to the left side of the stables explaining that their horse that Josh had been riding earlier was down that way.

"So Samantha, are you from around here," Josh asked.

"Sort of. I'm from Winnipeg which is about an hour north from here. What about the two of you?"

"We live on a couple of ranches that are south of Brandon, about 2 hours from Winnipeg," Jake replied quickly before adding, "How old are you?"

"I'm 16 and heading into grade 11," Samantha told them. She didn't know how old Jake and Josh were and she was scared that they might think that she was too young, but she told them her real age anyways. She didn't want to be one of those girls that lied just to get a guy. She firmly believed that if it was meant to be, then it would be, in cases of the heart. They looked a bit older than her, and normally older guys didn't have any issues with her age, but she did have a few guys in her past that shook their heads every time they remembered how old she was. Thankfully 16 was the legal age so that wouldn't be a worry. "How old are the two of you?"

"Jake and I are 17 and heading into grade 12," Josh replied as he breathed out in relief. They could work with 16 even though both of them would be turn 18 within a couple of months.

"Josh, earlier out in the ring, it looked like you were practicing. Are you a competitor?" Samantha questioned as they continued to walk towards the aforementioned horse.

"Actually both Jake and I are competing this weekend. We compete in the novice rodeo circuit for the Western provinces."

"Josh and I will be spending almost every weekend and some weekdays for the rest of the summer competing at different rodeos. We've already competed at some this year."