"Does it work?"

He blinked. "Um. Yeah, it kinda does." He climbed slowly to his feet, wincing as he stretched.

Jesus, he must be frost-bitten by now. She dug her keys out of her pocket. "Why didn't you go to Bailey's?" She would not look at him. She would not let him see how much it hurt her to see him with Bailey.

Chase frowned. "I... I didn't think about it. I just... wanted to come here. Can I come in?"

Didn't think about it. She whipped her head up at that. And then the rest of his question penetrated her Jealous Green brain. He wanted to come in? Red alert! She swallowed hard and nodded. "I guess. For a few minutes."

She unlocked the door, shoved it open, flipped on a light in the living room. The clock on the wall said it was ten PM. Her mother wouldn't be back for hours yet.

Not good.

She tossed the bag of candy on the garage sale coffee table she'd covered in red paint that sat in front of the threadbare sofa and peeled off her hoodie. "Um, you can sit down." She sat on the chair, well away from the sofa.

Chase sat with a loud sigh, angling his body to face her chair. He filled damn near half the couch that way, his long legs stretched in front of him. He rubbed his hands together to warm them. She should make him hot cocoa or something. If she did, he'd want to stay.

She remained in her chair.

"Um. So how was work tonight?"

"Um." Meg looked at her hands, tried to force words out of a throat that had suddenly formed a lump. "Not so good, I guess, since it was my last night." She gulped.

Chase shifted in a blur, leaned forward, his hands hanging through the gap between his knees. The expression in his eyes went from weary to worried in a micro-second. "They let you go? So soon? That sucks. I mean, I figured they'd keep you on until the end, you know?"

"Yeah." She folded into herself, tried to stay positive. "I'm sure I'll find something else."

"Well, yeah, duh. You're a good worker."

Her lips twisted into a sneer. "And how do you know that?"

"I know you."

Her amusement disappeared.

He waited a moment and then made a sound of frustration. "Megan, why do you always do that?" He flung himself back against the cushions.

"What?"

"That." He retorted, waving a hand in the air between them. "Look uncomfortable whenever I say something nice."

"I'm not uncomfortable." She straightened her spine.

"Yeah, right. You don't even want me in here. You're so uncomfortable, you had to sit across the room from me. God! It's like you actually think I'm gonna attack you or something."

Meg's mouth hung open for a moment. "Um. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." Jeez, how did her life get to be this soap opera?

Chase flung his head back and shut his eyes. "Megan. I came here because I needed a friend to talk to." He lifted his head and met her confused gaze. "You're the only person I feel comfortable talking with. I just wish you felt that way about me." He finished with a shrug, his eyes a storm of emotion.

Meg stared for a minute, her steel resolve now a puddle of molten indecision. "I'm sorry." She repeated, meaning it this time. "So. What happened today to cause this fight?"