“Arjun, be serious,” Radhika simply tugged at his hand, made him run faster and stopped near the tower, “You go ahead, I will check around here for any intruders and be there as soon as I can.”

As she went ahead to take a step forward, she was hauled back and lifted on to the steps that led to the top of the tower.

“Arjun,” she tried to peel her hands away.

He glared at her, “Shut up! Get it, enough, you might be the ‘lady in shining armor’ but don’t you forget you’re my lady. I will check while you go up there and make yourself comfortable.”

“Arjun but.”

“Shut up and go,” his order shocked her and rendered her speechless.

She knew he could take care of himself but how could she tell him, she was afraid something might happen to him, then what? What about her? How will she live? For whom?

 She couldn’t lose him, not now, not ever. He might not be hers, but she wanted him to be alive and...happy. She didn’t dare think of what could have happened, she couldn’t bear it, she needed him to be alive.

Radhika touched his face, her trembling fingers trailing across his jaw. "Be careful, Arjun. We still have much to do."

He couldn't see the fear in her eyes but he could hear it in her voice. He grabbed her and kissed her hard and fast. "And we'll do it all," he promised.

The narrow winding steps that led to the tower were uneven.  Arjun reached down again and took a defensive stance; he did not have any training to deal with such issues. But being a billionaire had sharpened his senses and built in him a need to protect not himself but those close to him. Right now, he was protecting the most valued thing to him in the whole world.

It was daylight and that was his advantage. No one would be stupid enough to venture out and be recognized.

A shadow passed by.

He prayed Radhika had found a decent hiding spot. If the worst happened, he wanted her protected.

Without a weapon, her wits were her only means of defense. His too.

He crouched low, ready to jump....then sighed in visible relief as the shadow meowed and ran away.

A cat, he smiled.

Movement on the steps above his position pulled his attention. He tightened his jaw and folded his palm into punch.

Radhika.

Arjun relaxed, instantly lowered his offensive stance. His heart thumped with equal measures relief and anxiety.”It’s clear.”

"Good," she said softly as she crouched down next to him. "Let’s go up, I have found the room."