Chapter:5

Salt Lake City, Utah

Grace's POV
I unloaded my horse and took Gage with me to sign in. It's been fun hanging out with Shane and the other calf ropers. For years I've been watching them rope and learning new tactics on how to get a cleaner loop.

I walked in with the camera on and went over to sign in. When I was done I went over and talked to them.

"And there's the girl that's beating our a**es." Monty said as I neared them.

Shane's POV
She came over in a tee shirt that said Knotty Cowgirl. I'd believe it if I got a hold of her. I sat there quietly listening to her voice. She sounded like an angel.

Her dog nudged me and I petted his head. He jumped up on me wanting more attention. "Gage. Down." She told the dog. "He's fine. Grace." I told her and knelt down to scratch him behind his ears. He sat down letting me scratch him. I know I have paw prints on my jeans but I could care less about it.

I stood back up and she said bye then walked over to talk to the barrel racers. Trevor nudged me. "What?" I asked. "We all see that look in your eyes. You like her don't you?" "Yeah to be honest." "And you don't know if she like you back." "That's the worst problem right now."

"Then tell her how you feel." Trevor said then walked away along with the guys.

Grace's POV
The way Shane acted with Gage made me almost blush. No one has shook off what my dog does just like that. Even if his paws are covered in crap. Shane now had paw prints on his jeans from Gage jumping up on him.

I talked to the barrel racers then went to my trailer to get Arrow and take him to the stalls. Shane was in the one next to me and was messing with his horse.

I put mine in the stall and brushed him down. "Hope you do good tonight." Shane told me. I nodded and closed my stall up.

"You too." I said then walked to my trailer. Gage kept on pulling on the leash so I started jogging. He kept the pace with me and we jogged back to the trailer.

I changed into workout clothes and my sketchers go runs. I went out with Gage and jogged the perimeter of the arena and parking lot twice.

When I was done it was about time to start. I set my tack in the back of my truck and changed into my lime green sponsor pearl snap shirt.

I put my belt on after pulling my jeans on and tucking my shirt it. It had a calf roper on it and was my newest buckle. I left Gage by the trailer on the electric fence system I had and went to get Arrow ready for tonight.

I french braided his tail down to the end of his tail bone and let the rest flow

I french braided his tail down to the end of his tail bone and let the rest flow. I brushed his mane out and brushed his coat.

I cleaned his hooves out and put the leg wraps on his lower legs. Then I put my barrel saddle on him and the matching bridle. I fastened the breast piece to the saddle and made sure everything was tight.

My horse was ready and so was I. I led him out and took him to the warm up ring. I was last out tonight and first for calf roping. Yup I finally beat Shane, but we go back and forth on who wins it.

Sometimes we're tied and others were behind each other by a few points. The barrel racers lined up for the round and I was of course last. Fallon was before me and Lisa was first.

A girl was going now and she was the youngest barrel racer in ERA. "Good luck tonight in barrels." I turned and saw Shane sitting by me waiting for calf roping. "Thanks." I told him.

He's been trying to hang out with me more since the season started. I have no time for guys right now so maybe during a break or after finals. When it was my turn to go I turned the camera on to start the video.

I cut around the first barrel and kicked Arrow once then went around the second and finally the third. I almost stood up in my seat kicking him back to the alleyway.

Once there I slowed him and paused the video feed. I hurried to the stall and quickly switched saddles to my roping saddle. I got back on my horse and went to go rope.

"First up in tie down is Grace Zandew." I started the video and called for it. My loop hit its target and I jumped off and ran to flip and tie it. When I was done I went back to my horse and saw my time.

When tie down was over Shane was in the lead and I was fifth in barrels. Second place wasn't that bad for me in tie down. I took Arrow back to his stall and untacked him.

Shane's POV
Man that a** of hers. Everything about her was toying with my mind. The way she rode, the way she walks, talks, ropes, her smile, and the new one is her laugh.

I know she doesn't want a relationship right now and I can wait until the end of the season. I've got to get her to go out with me before I even ask her to be my girlfriend.

Everyone in my family would at least leave me alone about getting a girl. I took my horse to his stall and I spotted her in the stall next to mine. She was brushing her horse out and taking the braid out of her horse's tail.

"What do you think Si?" I whispered to my horse. He nodded in agreement with me that I really should ask her.

Trivia: What is Shane's hometown?

Trivia:
What is Shane's hometown?