i wish i woulda known then what i know now

Start from the beginning

Castiel can picture Dean's smile. "I know. I'm just nervous," he says, his voice smoother and more calm.

"I'll be right beside you the whole time."

"Thanks, Cas. I'll see you soon."

"Okay, Dean."

Dean hangs up just as Balthazar walks in. "Dude?" He says.

"Ever heard of knocking?" Cas asks sarcastically.

"Mom and dad said you had a boyfriend coming over for dinner. I thought they were being funny but they told me to come ask you about it."

Castiel clears his throat nervously. "Um, yeah, my boyfriend is coming over for dinner."

"You mean like, your friend from school or something?"

"No. Dean and I have been dating for about a month now. He's a great guy, I'd love it if you gave him a chance."

Balthazar smiles at his little brother. "Okay, I'll leave protective older brother role to Gabe."

"So you're okay with it?"

"As long as you're happy, little brother."

"Thank you, Balthazar. It really means a lot to me."

"Yeah, whatever. Just don't do gross couple stuff in front of me." On that note, Balthazar walks out of Castiel's room.

Cas stands there, smiling widely at his door. Then he hears the doorbell ring, and comes rushing down to open it.

"Cas, stall him! Dinner is almost ready!" Castiel's mother instructs him.

He nods before swiftly opening the door. Cas' jaw visibly loosens at the sight of Dean all dressed up. He's wearing a button up that hugs his muscles in all the right ways, and his hair is styled more neatly than usual. He smiles at Cas, earning a blush from the shorter boy.

Castiel walks onto the porch and closes the front door behind him so he can kiss Dean in private. "You look fricken hot," Dean says, eyeing Castiel from top to bottom.

Cas blushes again. "I was just going to say the same for you! I mean probably not like that, but you do look hot. Hot like a buttery-"

"Cas, babe, you're rambling. Nervous much?"

Castiel takes a deep, shaky breath. "A little. Are you?"

"A lot."

Cas reaches up and gives Dean another sweet peck on the lips. "They're going to love you. Just don't say anything regarding religion or politics."

"Got it."

"Okay. Ready?"

Dean fixes Cas' tie first. "Ready."

Castiel opens the door and leads Dean inside.

"Mom, dad. This is Dean. Dean, meet my parents," he says, his voice trembling nervously.

Dean shakes each of their hands with a charming smile on his face. "It's nice to meet you both," he says politely.

"Nice to meet you too, Dean," Castiel's father says.

Cas brings Dean over to his brothers. "These are my brothers, Gabe and Balthazar. Michael and Lucifer are in college, so they're not here right now."

Rather than excepting Dean's hand, Gabriel pulls him in for a hug. "Nice to finally meet you," he says. "I've heard a lot about you."

Dean chuckles. "You too, man."

They sit down at the dinner table after filling their plates. Dean sits next to Cas, with Cas' father in front of Dean and his mother across from Cas. Gabe and Balthazar sit at the ends of the table.

"So, Dean," Castiel's mother begins the conversation. "How did you and Castiel meet?"

Dean looks at Cas, as if asking permission to tell the truth. Cas nods his head with momentary reluctance. "Well, we met at school. More specifically, the nurse's office."

Castiel is grateful that Dean left out the part about him breaking Sam's nose. "And, when did you go on your first, um... date?"

"The very next day."

"That seems a little fast, wouldn't you agree?" Cas' father chimes in. He can see Dean start to get nervous at the accusation, so he discreetly hooks his foot around Dean's in a reassuring way.

"Well, I knew as soon as I saw Cas that I wanted to get to know him more. He isn't in any of my classes, so we don't see each other at school. It just seemed like the only way."

"Awww," Gabriel coos. He shuts up when his mother gives him a glare.

"So, do you have any siblings?"

"Yes ma'am, I have a brother."

"How old is he?"

"He's thirteen right now. Just started high school. I'm pretty sure he skipped a grade, the kid is crazy smart."

"Castiel says you work at a garage?"

"Yes ma'am, my dad's close friend owns it. I've been working there since I could hold a wrench. I also work at my aunts diner over the summer."

Castiel could tell his parents were starting to get a little more comfortable with Dean. By the end of dinner, everyone was pitching in and laughing.

In Castiel's mind, nothing could have possibly made him happier.