Chapter 30

Dedicated to zionxander for being an avid follower of this book :)

Catalina.

I'll leave you two to discuss things. I know it must be a bit too much for you to process, considering the reasons why you're here," Dr Bentham said quietly, getting up from his chair.

He stepped across the room hastily, exited the office through the wooden door, leaving us alone.

We sat in silence for quite sometime. My mind had already been kicked into overdrive to process some very simple words that will no doubt change my life completely.

I'm pregnant.

Eventually a small smile crept onto my face the thought about the child growing inside me at this very moment and the amount of love I'm going to shower my baby with made me feel unexplainably warm.

I'm going to have a child.

Covertly, I looked over at Cristiano to gauge his reaction. His eyebrows were knitted together in deep concentration and his eyes were fixed on a spot of the desk as if he was trying to move it with his mind. A frown replaced the smile on my face and complete nervousness washed over me.

"Cristiano," I started, unsure of what exactly to say or how to start off.

Suddenly he cupped my face between his large hands and kissed me ever so gently.

"You're pregnant!" He gushed,"Catalina you're pregnant!"

"I know," I laughed as I hugged him,"Cris, are you crying?"

"You know," he started, wiping a small tear from the corner of his eye,"A man can get emotional too when he learns that his fiancee is carrying his child."

"Okay okay point taken," I shook my head in amusement.

"I can't wait to tell our family," Cris said, taking my hand in his again, this time without the death grip.

"Dolores will be over the moon,"I sighed,"If only Maman was better, I wanted to share the news with her first."

"I know dear, I know," He replied consolingly, planting a kiss on my forehead,"Don't worry, she will get better and then we can tell her about her new granddaugther or grandson."

"I didn't see you having any signs of morning sickness," He added in a slightly confused voice.

"Neither did I. I must have been so busy with my work that I didn't realise that I missed my period," I clapped my hand to my forehead at my stupidity,"I'm really working too hard."

"But your work is meaningful," he replied kissing me on the forehead.

"You always know what to say," I said with a smile.

"When do you think we made the little one," He wriggled his brows suggestively. I rolled my eyes at him and he laughed heartily.

"Why do you have to be so blunt sometimes?"I smiled.

"Can't help it,"

"The doctor said a few weeks which probably means around the time we were in Italy," I concluded, counting off the weeks with my fingers.

"I do remember that trip rather vividly, don't you?" he smirked deviously.

"Stop it, you're making me blush," I pushed him playfully.

"But seriously, I love the fact that in the next eight months time, we'll be welcoming Rhania or Xavier into the world," He smiled.

......................................

"You go home with Junior and Carima. Leave the car with me, I want to stay here a while."I waved Cris off from the doorway of the hospital room.

"Are you sure?" He looked at me with concerned brown eyes,"I don't want to leave you by yourself,"

"I'll be fine. I just want some time alone with Maman," I sighed.

"Okay Jimena. I love you," He said quietly, kissing my forehead.

"I love you. Good bye," I replied. I watched him disappear down the hallway before turning to look at Maman.

"Oh la la, quelle un jour!" I huffed tiredly, dropping into the leather seat by her bedside. I fixed her pillows briefly and brushed away the stray hairs that fell across her tiny face.

"Well, I believe this has been one of the more stressful weeks in my life," I chuckled, more to myself, "First you got seriously ill Maman and I had to fly back home to be with you. You scared the daylights out of me and believe it or not I'm might have stopped breathing for a few moments when I heard the news."

"Interestingly enough when I get back to Spain next week, I have to fly to Ankara for a UN meeting two days later and after that I have a summit in Krakow the very next week." I rubbed my face tiredly.

"I guess I chose this life," I smiled,"To help people as much as I can and definitely always be on the go. I had thought that things would have slowed down when I moved to Spain and opened the hospital but I've been doing so many odd jobs and favours for UN, WHO, NATO you name it, it's like I never left England at all."

"I haven't spoken to Diana in a week, neither Adelia in 3 weeks and I don't know how long it's been since I last saw Izzy or Adam or I'm losing it slightly Maman." I sighed, burying my face in my hands.

"But Cris has been good to me. Really good, God I love him so much. Also the most wonderful news for you when you wake up Maman. I'm pregnant! You're going to have another grandchild, although I do feel as if its going to be grandchildren because I think I'm having at least twins. I don't know why that is." I gripped her hand and for a split second I thought she gently gripped it back. I studied her face and it remained quite unchanged, as blank as before leading me to conclude that I really needed sleep right about now.

I closed my eyes and bowed my head, saying a silent prayer for my mother, my family, friends and especially my unborn baby.

Looking up from my long prayer, I glanced up at Maman for one last time before nearly having a heart attack because of her wide light hazel eyes staring right back at me.