Zone

A knock sounded on her door and Lissa gave her curls one last fluff and the hem of her red dress one last tug. She smiled, opening the door to Dan. Dan looking amazing in a dress shirt and slacks.

"Be still, my heart," he said, smiling.

Lissa raised an eyebrow. "I can tell when you're lying about that, you know."

He leaned in a placed a brief kiss on her cheek. "You look beautiful," he said as Lissa saw faint champagne showers fall around his head.

"Oh, this old thing?" Lissa said, glad she had bought the dress.

"Shall we?"

Lissa stepped out of her apartment and locked the door behind her.

"Where are we going?"

"Do you like steak?"

"Not like. Love. Love steak. Might be in love with steak."

Dan laughed. "I thought you would. You're going to love tonight, then."

"Where are we going?"

"All in due time." Dan took Lissa's arm and tucked it into his. Lissa thought he was trying to distract her.

"Tell me."

"I'm allowed to keep some things from you."

"Says who?"

"Everyone? Just let me surprise you."

"Okay, but it better not be TGI Fridays."

"No worries there."

They walked arm in arm, in comfortable silence. The pink and red of the sunset dipping lower behind the buildings of the city, the twinkling lights of nightlife slowly starting to shine. Lissa felt Dan's eyes on her and she turned to look at him.

"What?" she asked, a small wave of embarrassment creeping over her.

"There's just something about you. I can't describe it. But I like it."

Lissa blushed, and her stomach tightened in a delightful and almost scary way. She smiled at Dan, batting her lashes.

"That's how I feel about steak."

Their laughter echoed around the buildings as streetlights switched on and cast a golden glow over the city streets. Lissa was thrilled that she was finally Zoning into something good.

The End