Chapter-7

Tracer

The fact that she's bringing an assassin to their childhood location, alone, was one thing, but to ask for a chance to bring her back was another.

"Amèlie, please..." Lena whispered in her ear from behind, arms still wrapped around her assassin. She couldn't even recognize her own voice. She just sounded so desperate. "I miss you. I miss you, and now that you're here, I just can't let you go."

For two whole minutes, for which what felt like two decades for the Lena, Widowmaker finally spoke.

"You see, chèrie, there's a difference between you and I. You just can't seem to give up. I'm not you. I will never be like you, because–"

"Because what?" Lena's grip hugged tighter, "because you're brainwashed? Because what, Amèlie!?" Her screaming voice was muffled as Lena's lips dug themselves onto Widowmaker's shoulders.

"Because you will never understand!" Widowmaker's voice cracked.

As soon as the last word has been spoken, Widowmaker unleashed her grappling hook onto another building, attempting to escape.

Lena couldn't react. Her mind was occupied with the thought of what she said.

What will I never understand?

By now, Widowmaker was long gone, and the usually cheery woman was now quiet, her head lowered as she stared holes into the ground. Her knees buckled as the realization hit her. She's gone... Lena thought as tears threatened to spill. She's gone, and I just let her leave!

Lena wept. She felt so weak.

You can't even bring her back. What else can you do? Lena thought. She looked up at the hill. The hill that triggered her feelings for a certain French woman, whom she loved dearly, and whom she loved seeing the smile of. What happened? Why did all this have to happen?