Chapter X

"What are you doing here?" Evermore's shock was evident in her tone, Harry was the last person she had expected to see at her doorstep. Especially in the state that he was in; he wore ripped black jeans, and a gray sweater. His hair was a tousled mess atop his head, as if he had been running his fingers through it.

"Look, I won't be long. I just need to tell you that.." He trailed off, examining Evermore's face, as if he wanted to take in every feature, as if he wanted to memorize every detail. "I'm leaving. I have to. And I don't think we'll see each other again."

Evermore's confusion only deepened. Leaving? Where? Why is he telling her? She couldn't ask him any of these questions, she could only stand there, in shock. Marlo still stood behind the door, barking rapidly at who he still believed to be an intruder. Finally,the door slipped from Evermore's grasp, and Marlo came lunging toward Harry, ready to attack. Evermore gave a yelp of surprise by his sudden outburst. Harry gave him a quick look, and next thing Ever knew, Marlo was backing into the house, whining like an infant. Evermore looked at Harry, confused as to how he calmed Marlo by just looking at him, but Harry's eyes were on her.

"Where are you going? And why?" She finally spit out.

"I can't tell you. I wish I could, but I can't." Evermore started to become angry at him. If he couldn't tell her why or where he was going, why bother coming to her house to tell her at all? "It's just.. Safer if I leave."

For a split second, Evermore wondered if it was because she kissed him.

"It's not because you kissed me. Well, I mean-." He stepped closer to her, inviting himself in. "It's just all too complicated right now. I need to leave."

There he had gone again, speaking as if he read her mind. The now familiar electric feeling when he touched her cheek. And again, no breath, no rise or fall of the chest. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

"Harry," She said. He only looked up at her in response, and she continued. "What are you?" Her voice shook while she said this, unable to steady it. Harry immediately withdrew his hand from her face, stepping back. "What are you?" She repeated.

"Y-You have to figure it out for yourself. I can't tell you. " He finally says.

"Not this again." She huffs, referring to her dream.

"You're smart Evermore, you can figure it out." He steps closer to her again, as he had before, but this time he slips something into her hand. Seconds later, he vanishes from her front door. Evermore has no time to question how he had vanished so quickly, for she had been too busy examining what Harry had given her just seconds before.

In her hands, was a piece of paper, or rather, a picture.

A picture of her Mother, wearing Harry's silver cross necklace.