Chapter One

Disclaimer : This is my first ever story so it's probably really messy and it's probably awful, with all that said I actually hope you can read the whole story and I hope you enjoy it!

--------------------------------------------

"Kayla, nice to meet you! I'm Sophie and I'm going to be your therapist this year. Since I wasn't really given lots of details on your personal life, I'd love to start off this session with a little introduction, I would really like to know more about you and your 'issues'...."

Seriously what the hell is up with this lady, what therapist in their right mind is this bubbly?

I hear someone calling my name and realise it's only my annoying therapist :
"Kayla...Kayla ; I was trying to explain to you how I need to know more about your life before I can start helping you, things like why you think you're here or a short backstory."

Well, I've only been here for about five minutes and I already hate this lady. I'm immensely shocked at how little my mum knows me, the fact that she thought I would openely talk to this woman about my life and share with her my problems which, Shocker! Everyone has! Will always shock me. It's not like I'm some socially awkward person that hasn't got any friends, I've got two amazing friends, I actually do get good grades, I haven't got a boyfriend (= no problem), I have a reasobable amount of instagram followers, I seriously don't know what the problem is.

I'm a fucking sixteen year old girl living in Manchester with two great friends. Maybe the fact that I lost my father when I was six made my mum think that I need therapy, maybe the fact that she thinks I've got an attitude problem (which is more internal than external anyways) made her think that I need therapy or maybe it's the fact that she fucking married fucking Jerry after dating him for two fucking years without telling me about him or the fact that she was dating... Well, yes, I do admit that I'm kind of mad about it, but not "therapy mad", I think I'm more "tumblr-famous mad" or "Taylor Swift hit song mad".

My therapist - what's her face - is just sitting on her chair staring at me with a stupid smile planted on her face, the fact that she's expecting me to talk makes me chuckle internally, after a while simply because I'm getting bored, I decide to put on my headphones and listen to some music while I stare out the window.

When the therapy session is finally over, after fifteen amazing songs, my therapist streches out her hand to shake me and I just stare at it and exit the room.

I leave the building and see my mum waiting for me with a worried look planted on her face. She gets in the car and straight after I come in too.

"Well, how was it? Did you like Sophie? I spent lots of time doing research looking for a good therapist and Sophie was just perfect! She's really sweet too!"

"Well, I think you need a refund because she didn't exactly get me to open up, plus she was so fucking anno-".

"Watch your language young lady!"

"It's true!"

"These things take time, I'm sure after a couple more sessions you'll start opening up to her".

"There wont be any opening up because I'm not going again, I seriously don't need therapy, I'm doing fucking okay!"

My mum starts the car and starts driving.

"I've already paid your therapy sessions and they have a strict no refund policy."

The drive back home is quiet, really quiet. When we get home, Jerry smiles at me then looks over at my mum.

"Kayla! How did it go?"

I completely ignore him and when I get to my room, I throw my school bag on the floor and throw myself on my bed. I stay like this quite a while till I fall asleep.

When I wake up it's 9pm and I realise that I haven't done my homework, that therapy session and the argument with my mum wore me out. By the time I'm done with my homework it's 1am and I go to bed after having a protein bar.

The next morning

I wake up and get ready for school, the fact that my school is at walking distance is actually a huge plus, I love walking to clear my head and it relaxes me.

When I get to school, I meet up with my friends, Mark and Claire, they've been my best friends ever since I moved to Manchester which was a couple of months after my father's death.

Mark loves sports and is also sort of the rebel, Claire has a really sarcastic humour and is addicted to "man bands" and rock.
Me, I'm sort of the in-betweener, I'm pretty much like both of them combined and I have an unhealthy relationship with tumblr.

"Hey Kayla! So, how was the therapy session?."

"Pure shit, Mark. Simply pure shit."

"Damn, that bad?"

"Yes Claire, it was horrible, I'm fucking pissed at the fact that I was forced to go to therapy, I don't even need it. Do I look crazy to you guys? Be honest."

Claire answers first saying, "You look fine to me, but your mum seeing as you had such a rough time growing up, feels like you need to open up to someone and not keep your feelings bottled up or something."

"Yeah well, I do know that but you guys are there for me whenever I need to talk about my feelings."

Now Mark responds saying, "And that's the problem, no parent would ever think that taking advice from a teenager is healthy in any way."

Before I get the chance to respond the bell rings and I have to get to ny class before I'm too late.

When school is over, I meet up with my friends and we just walk back to our houses, Claire gets home first first, then Mark and the last seven minutes I'm left walking alone.

When I get back home, I drop off my bag in my room and before I can open the refrigerator, I notice a post-it, saying that my therapy sessions are held on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and that just pisses me off, I'm going to have to download new songs if I want to survive.

My mum and Jerry arrive from work at around 10 p.m. and at that time I'm busy listening to music in my room, I fall asleep shortly after they arrive in a really uncomfortable position.

I wake up, do my morning stuff and today Jerry decides to drop me off at school. Great!?

On the car ride to school which is typically about thirteen minutes, I decide to put on my headphones and listen to some good old FOB or TØP but he takes them off.

"What the fuck?"

"I wanted to talk to you on our way to school"

"Erm... okay...?"

This feels really weird because Jerry and I have barely spoken to each other, in the three years he's been married to my mum we've only exchanged hellos and goodbyes, sometimes I feel like he's scared of me or maybe he's scared of saying the wrong thing to me, I won't complain though because I do hate him or maybe I hate the fact that he's married to my mum, either way, I'm pleased he hasn't tried to have an actual conversation with me.

--------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed Chapter 1 of Stressed Out. Chapter 2 will probably be out during this week or maybe next week.
What do you guys think of my first book? Do you have any notes? Do you like Kayla's personality?

1313 words