Jasmine of the Fireflies

Start from the beginning

Someone grasped her palm. Her brown eyes shot open as she instinctively pulled away. The hand let her go, but Jasmine had tugged too hard, and now stumbled back into the sawn trunk. Cloudlike hands caught her before she could fall too hard, and they set her carefully on her seat.

"I won't hurt you," said the wispy voice, soft, and of a higher register.

Jasmine turned and met the visitor's face, and all at once, the sanctuary became a galaxy, vast with glowing and twinkling stars, their light gilding the deep brown skin of the young woman who gazed back at her.

"I know you," said Jasmine, studying the visitor's face. She was perhaps not even human, but Jasmine did not question this. She did not question her own sanity, as those who ruled the world had taught her to do. She did not look into the past, wondering if there was a neighbor girl she had forgotten growing up with. She did not scan the archives of high school memories, or work memories, to draw up the how and where and when of meeting this visitor. No. The visitor was no visitor at all. She had always been here.

"I know you too, but I have never known your name."

"Jasmine," she said.

"I like your name." She touched her heart. "I am Sana."

"Sana..." Jasmine shared a mutual smile with her, and the two laughed, as if not expecting to enjoy something as simple as a moment of unity.

"It was wonderful, growing up with you," said Sana. "I only wish I could have manifested myself sooner."

Jasmine's brow turned. "Growing up?"

"Yes," said Sana. "I was a little girl when you first came here. I am ashamed to say it took me more time to learn the skills needed to communicate with you. We are not many, us children of Nature. It grows lonely out here." Sana stared into the woods, away from the place Jasmine called home, but wished not to. "Do not worry, Jasmine, I do not blame you."

"I'm sorry..."

A reflective silence followed, accompanied by the continuous light of the fireflies.

"I would like to take you somewhere, Jasmine, if you'll come?" Sana offered her hand, but Jasmine shook her head.

"How can I, knowing you will leave soon? We only just met."

"We met long before this," said Sana. She offered her hand again. "Please, come with me on this adventure."

Jasmine took Sana's hand, feeling her sorrow melt in its warmth. "I will go with you."

Sana smiled and bowed her head, then lifted her empty hand to the sky. The fireflies rearranged their galaxy, leaving a thin tear in the light. Sana opened the tear with her hand, pulling aside the cloth of the haven, allowing Jasmine to step inside.

The dark of night faded, and the sounds of falling water took over. Jasmine and Sana stood on a flat rock stippled with leafy shadows, watching an elegant waterfall pour itself into the pristine natural pool below.

"This is beautiful..." said Jasmine. "I've never seen one of these before, not in person."

"I remember," said Sana. "You always wanted to visit one."

"And swim to the cave behind it."

Sana smiled. "Are you ready?"

"Ready for what?" Jasmine gasped. "We aren't jumping, are we?"

"We are," said Sana. "Today, you are safe. Nothing in nature can hurt you."

Jasmine looked at her, then at the waterfall, then at the sky. Look away for a sec, Dad, she thought. You too, Mom. She smiled at Sana, and gave her a firm nod as she toed off her shoes. "Jump with me?"