Chapter 8- Sworn in Blood

Start from the beginning

    "Vengeance." she whispered under her breath, reciting the word that was written in blood. "Sworn in blood."

————————————————————————-

    "Hodge." Jace and Isabelle said his name as they entered into the training room.

    "Ah, hey Jace, Isabelle. What do ya need?" he said with a friendly smile on his face. Jace and Isabelle looked at each other sidewards, then back to the weapons trainer.

    "There's something in the main hall that you have to see." Isabelle said.

    "What is it?" Hodge asked.

    "Somebody wrote on the wall in blood." she continued, biting the insides of her gums.

    "What?" Hodge ran out of the doorway, Jace and Isabelle followed him quickly behind. They rushed down the hall and approached the main room. They turned and saw Clary looking at the wall.

    "What is that?" she asked, pointing at the bloody proclamation.

    "We don't know." Jace went up to her and hugged her. Clary didn't cry, she didn't wince. She just continued to stare at the message on the wall. Isabelle looked down the main hall, seeing Alec and their mother.

    "Mother, I'm telling you. It's in writing. Blood writing. Whoever did this is not taking things lightly. They even wrote—"

    "Vengeance." Maryse completed the sentence for her son. "I see." Clary looked up from the wall at Alec. She pushed herself away from Jace and went over to him.

    "Do you know what's going on?" she asked him, looking up at him with worry in her eyes.

    "No, I don't." he answered, looking at the wall. Clary followed his gaze.

    "Who wants vengeance? Why?" she asked.

    "Beats me." Alec replied.

    "Hodge, get a sample and test this." Maryse instructed. Hodge did as asked and went off to a lab, Clary followed him.

    "Hodge? Has this ever happened before?" she asked, wanting to have some background information on the situation.

    "No. This is the first time something like this has happened. There  have been weird things happen to this Institute over time, but never somebody writing on the wall in blood." he answered her.

    "Okay. Thanks anyway." she stood in the hall, staring off into space as Hodge walked away. Clary turned back around and went back into the main hall.

    "Oh, Clary. Could you go with Isabelle to get some cleaning supplies? I'd like this to be gone as quickly as possible." Maryse looked at the message with disgust and disdain.

    "Of course." she replied. Clary set off towards the kitchen, Isabelle falling into her step.

    "This is freaky." Isabelle said under her breath as they walked into the kitchen. She knelt down and opened up the cabinet under the sink. She pulled out the Clorox wipes and the Windex spray, along with a roll of paper towels and a trash can. "This is really shaking me up. We've seen dead animals, bloody handprints, hell, even a dead body. But nobody has ever been this targeting. It makes me feel like we're being watched, or stalked." Isabelle handed the Clorox wipes and paper towels to Clary as they walked back to the main hall.

    "I'm back with the results." Hodge entered through the other doorway. Clary and Isabelle put down the cleaning supplies and looked at him, waiting an answer. "It was an odd mix... there was something off about it: mundane blood with artificially added Shadowhunter blood, spiked with the blood of a vampire." he finished.