Chapter 3

Chloe POV

I stood up and paced the length of the table.  "So basically," I said, trying to process what was going on.  "We are legit, long lost twins???"

"You could put it that way," Cleo reasoned.  She looked as though she was trying really hard to come up with a good fact to contradict my theory with. She fiddled with her phone for a while and ended up setting it on the table by the stack of napkins.  "Or... you could say that we just look really similar and we are not even related at all.  You know it happens, 'cause I heard that one in a thousand people have this happen to them, but the chance that they will actually meet their look-alike is something like one in a billion."

"You just had to say that didn't you," Paige said, looking like Cleo just rained on her parade.  She shook her head and sipped her mug, leaving behind a pale lipstick mark.

"Well, I'm not saying that's what happened to us, I'm just saying--"

"That that's what happened to us." Paige and I said together.  Cleo let out an exasperated sigh.

"You know, we could get you guys tested, you know, for DNA."  Paige said suddenly, after a long pause in the conversation.

"Yeah, I guess we could," I said, not so sure I wanted to get for sure results on this.  "I'd rather wait, and, you know, prod my parents a bit... only so that I can see just how much they know about this."

"Done," Cleo said, agreeing.  I stared at what was left in my cup and bit my lip. 

"No offense, but I kind of wish this never happened." I said, not daring to look at Cleo or Paige.

"Why?" Cleo said.  Thankfully, she didn't sound hurt.  But then she didn't sound questioning or curious either.  I decided that she had no emotion at all.

"Well," I paused, why did I wish that?  "I just think that things would just be better, easier if this never happened.  I'm glad I met you and all, but at the same time I'm not because I just have this feeling that I'm going to regret ever meeting you."

"Well, then, see ya." Cleo said, she stood up and left before any of us could say anything.  I would have called out, but I didn't need to.

She had left her phone.