Chapter 3: 52 in a deck

There was a sudden knock at the door. I stood up from my bed and walked over to it, opening it slowly. It was Daniel.

"Emma, it's getting late." He said.
"So?" I said to him
"So, you should come down for dinner. We ordered Chinese food. You need to eat."

"Fine." I said, walking out of the room. I brushed past him and down the hallway to the spiral staircase. I could see the others from above, all sitting at the long wooden table next to the bench.

I walked down the staircase, my boots making a sound as I went every step. Daniel followed along behind me. I walked to the table and once again, sat in the middle of Henley and Jack.

The others chatted while Daniel and I sat in silence. I had eaten all I could, I was just poking the rest of the food around for fun.

Henley passed the fortune cookies around out of the brown paper bag our food came in. I picked mine up and cracked it open. I ate the cookie and then read the fortune.
"Others may seek your knowledge while as you seek their friendship." I read aloud, mostly to myself.

"Surroundings as elegant as these may soon be yours." Henley read out.

"Expecting and guessing are different to the common eye." Merritt read his as well.

"Before one can be reborn into the world it must die before it." Jack said. "That's unsettling." He shifted in his seat.

"Others seek your companionship while you seek their knowledge." Daniel read.

Everyone stopped talking and looked at me and Daniel. "That's not strange at all." Henley said sarcastically. I pushed back from the table and emptied the box my food came in before chucking that out to.

I walked across the room and up the spiral staircase. I heard quick footsteps behind me and found that Daniel was following me. I turned around to face him.

"I'm sorry I left you." He said.
"I look up to you Daniel, I always have." I said sadly.
"And you think I look down at you? I probably look up at you more then you do to me."

"What do you mean?" I asked him.
"Your the smartest person I know." He said smiling.
I smiled at him. I hugged him tightly. "Promise me you won't leave me for that long again?" I asked, my voice a bit muffled.

"I promise." Daniel said. I broke the embrace and I smile at him.

The side of my jumper became heavy and I thrust my hand into my pocket. I pulled out a black-roped necklace with a thick silver heart on it.

I hugged him again and then ran upstairs again, yelling out that I would be back. I heard people moving downstairs as I opened the door to my room and opened my drawer.

I rummaged around for a few minutes before I found my book and grabbed it. I closed my door and went back downstairs to find everyone sitting on the couches.

Merritt took up a whole couch by laying lengthways on it, Henley and Jack sat opposite each other on the two small armchairs, and Daniel sat on on one seat of the second long couch, obviously saving me a seat.

Everyone was mainly reading. There was silence in the room. It was comfortable, but at the same time, strange.

My eyes became heavy as I kept reading. Just a few more sentences.

It's no use, as my body makes no effort to try and stay awake.

I drift off, falling to sleep on the couch. I do remember very well though, just before I fell asleep, I remember that I had my head on someone's shoulder.

-Authors Notes-
I'm sorry this is short. I typed some of these chapters on my phone, so they look a lot longer then what they are!